How I'm (trying) to build a mini arrow for as little money as possible

VTX

This is the first of many parts, after this failure I am more motivated to get this thing to fly! I plan to use some 3D printed parts for the fuselage and upgrade the power system a bit. I'm really excited about this project and would love to hear what you all have to say!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the FT Forums Ethan! Saw your video and thought it was a great vlog type video. Just as a suggestion, if you are going to use the larger brushless motors that have lower KV compared to the smaller ones on your racing quads with the higher kv motors, you'll need larger props, as you had guessed, which won't work so well on the FT Mini Arrow.

What about building one of their older flying wings like the FT Versa? It'll fly well with those motors you have in either a pusher or tractor setup, and also can accommodate an 8 or 9" prop.

They might be a little more expensive to build ($2 vs $1) if you build by the plans, but I've actually built/cut the regular versa wing out of one sheet of foamboard for $1. You just have to layout the parts a little differently.

VTX

Welcome to the FT Forums Ethan! Saw your video and thought it was a great vlog type video. Just as a suggestion, if you are going to use the larger brushless motors that have lower KV compared to the smaller ones on your racing quads with the higher kv motors, you'll need larger props, as you had guessed, which won't work so well on the FT Mini Arrow.

What about building one of their older flying wings like the FT Versa? It'll fly well with those motors you have in either a pusher or tractor setup, and also can accommodate an 8 or 9" prop.

They might be a little more expensive to build ($2 vs $1) if you build by the plans, but I've actually built/cut the regular versa wing out of one sheet of foamboard for $1. You just have to layout the parts a little differently.

Hello!
Thanks for the suggestions, part of my goal with these videos though is to get what I already have to fly. I like the challenge of it and the problems I face. I actually just got new motors for my quad so I have 4 extra motors that I'm going to try out. Still, I'm thinking about what you said and I might try making this wing more like the versa wing in the sense that it can have a puller prop on the front that accommodates a larger prop.
Thanks for the reply, friend!

-Nate

Last edited by a moderator: