How low can the V go?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hi guys, I've been trying to figure out how low I make the Voltage supply to a '12V' ccd camera (Sony 1/3" board). I've hooked it up to a charged 2s Lipo and it works great. No loss of image quality at all. For the Hobbyking listing it says 9-12.6V, but that's clearly not accurate.

The reason I ask is that I have set up a new camera that's intended for a parkflying short range FPV setup. It'd be so much easier to plug the fpv rig into the balance plug than rig a Y cable up for the connector. I'm going to try and get away with not using an lc filter. If it's too bad, I'll use a seperate, small (350mAh) 2s battery for the fpv gear.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hmm, discounted the idea of plugging it into the discharge port... The Voltage sag at full throttle (static) pulls it below the Voltage threshold. The little 2s seems to work OK and will fit in most planes.

CripSkillz

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Cheers. Lowest bid on voltage so far is 8V, which I don't think is going to work for 2s for very long... More thinking required for the setup...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, thinking along another path, is there a way to hack the camera to make it run off 5V, which is what it converts the input voltage to anyway?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hmm, with one of those I could hack the cable to make it power the camera. They're a bit pricey for a couple of connectors though. I'm sure I'll work something out.