How many active helicopter pilots do we have here?

Do you prefer helicopters, quads, fixed wings, or other!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chronix

Just curious!

Respond if you like to fly helis!
IMG_20200531_193213.jpg

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 230, the parts came from AMain way before I was expecting!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
My Vote: OTHER. I will fly anything!

My buddy has been cleaning out his basement recently and gave me his Blade mSR about a week ago. I attempted to fly it a few times, but really need a bigger area to "test" with since it seems to be somewhat unstable. Not sure if something is adjusted wrong, or If I have one of my sticks reversed.
IMG_0139.JPG

I have had a few of the cheapie helis over the years. They all need new batteries to get them back in the air.
IMG_0138.JPG

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looking at FPVing the mSR once it is flying good. :)
Well nuts. Appears this one is like all the other mSR's and has a VERY fragile main board. Pretty common for the boards to fail, and this one is no different. Will no longer bind. I may try to reflow the board, or just find something newer and more worth my time....

LB

chronix

Well nuts. Appears this one is like all the other mSR's and has a VERY fragile main board. Pretty common for the boards to fail, and this one is no different. Will no longer bind. I may try to reflow the board, or just find something newer and more worth my time....

LB
The sr has never been a favorite in the micro heli world, but there are a couple good options although I would recommend jumping up on size it's much easier than it used to be with the SAFE stuff

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
@F106DeltaDart That combat Huey and Wetland(I think) are friggin sweet!
Thanks! It is actually an Aerospatiale(Airbus) Dauphin. I'm actually working on adding a hoist, searchlight, and retractable landing light to that model right now. There is lots of fun involved in building and detailing scale birds!

Scale flying is also a unique challenge in its own right. Trying to get the smoothness and precision of a real heli takes a lot of practice, but is a lot of fun.

L Edge

Master member
Have you ever thought about getting a vintige heli and find/build a body to put on it and do your thing of scaling it? Favorites were the Airwolf (after the TV show) and the dual head Boeing Vertol heli and both flew real scale looking.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Have you ever thought about getting a vintige heli and find/build a body to put on it and do your thing of scaling it? Favorites were the Airwolf (after the TV show) and the dual head Boeing Vertol heli and both flew real scale looking.
I haven’t looked much at vintage heli mechanics outside of the highly specialized scale ones. I’m not much of a nitro guy, so it would involve an electric conversion. The closest I’ve done is a late 80s Hirobo Dauphin Kit. I got a deal and couldnt pass it up, so I ended up doing full electric conversion. Even maintained the original clutch. It’s a really sweet flyer and the Fenestron tail works great! Would love to someday get my hands on the Hirobo Chinook or Sea Knight to do a similar conversion!
C101F469-4478-4B17-8D42-79465B89CAB4.jpeg
A181E42B-8387-4AAA-BB5C-16AC9F1F5A8A.jpeg

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I did forget to mention that I have also done an Airwolf (450 size) but with modern mechanics. Fun to buzz around with and looks pretty cool in the air.
1C9AA059-6A8E-4505-A60F-E864E1C08168.jpeg
A059A515-F80E-409E-A47A-34A9980ECAC9.jpeg

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Those look awesome!!

How much does it cost to build a helicopter like that?
Thanks! The cost depends a lot on the size and fuselage type you want to go with. A 450 scale heli can run around $400 all up ready to go. The 500 size is probably around $800, and a 600 size is well north of $1k. Definitely requires some budget management, but totally worth it for me. I’ve generally spilt up the cost and bought a few parts per month to help distribute the load a bit.