How much longer till we get some free plans for the FT Shinden???

Raycefan

It's been a while, but I was watching some of the older videos on YouTube today, and Josh B. said there were going to release the Shinden "soon" several times. When???? I sure I can't be the only one who thinks this plane would make a great addition to the hangar, no matter how it flies. I know you guys are determined to bring is a quality plane with stunning stall and flight characteristics as always. But at some point, you gotta throw us a bone with plans or speed build kits or SOMETHING!!! Any idea of a more solid date when we might see this fro the FT Shinden?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
hmm . . . so "Free" needs a schedule. Interesting.

And you say quality only matters so much now, but when a third of the airframes build out poorly, whose face gets smeared with egg? Not the builders.

The Punjet was clearly released as an "intermediate" plane -- "Not for beginners" -- and clearly stated a few times it's not a slow flyer . . . but it still takes a beating from new builders and pilots as hard to fly and doesn't fly well at slow speed.

Patience. It will get here when it gets here. I know you want it now, but you don't want it early.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I know it's been mentioned on podcasts about how although it will fly it is still not very stable. They want to release it when it flies great and is repeatable. Since those criteria haven't been met yet there aren't plans available.

Raycefan

Well, how long has it been since the Shinden was first mentioned? I'd have to check again,but 9 months ago this plane was mentioned. Throughout the video as well as the end, it is implied work is continuing and on going as far as R&D on this plane. In that 9 months, the Punjet, which I've built several and love how mane era me and versatile this little plane is, not to mention how great it is even on the windiest days, came out on what seemed to be a whim. And, while no, I don't think there's a time limit on "free", I also don't think updates on progress are an unreasonable request. Seems to me, time could be better spent finishing a project that's already been started (Shinden) rather than making a spur of the moment plane that was clearly made just as a joke (Punjet). Call me crazy. Free doesn't need a schedule , but being left in limbo wonder whether the future of the plane will even come to pass is not cool either. Also , when do we get to know why the heck Josh's arm has been in a cast?? Do they think we do t notice this one of stuff?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The cast is no secret -- he fell in his sons' treehouse after getting startled by a Raccoon. The fuller-than-average story is he was collecting a tool he'd left in the treehouse's loft and moved a piece of plywood it was under . . . only to find it wasn't alone. Two steps back and he wasn't in the loft anymore. Bumped his head on the way down and landed on his wrist. This all the day before their last trip out west.

As for why spur of the moment things are consuming time in R&D . . . I think you misunderstand their process . . . or lack there of. Part of what they do and why we love the organic feel of the show is the "what if" portion, that is quickly played out and if it leads to a success or further ideas then it's pursued with gusto. If not, it becomes the every day work that gets time as they can muster.

As far as priorities (aka "Time better spent") they've got a great store now and good service . . . and the core IP of that store is being given away at no cost with no reuse restriction. No other hobby shop would do that. That's because they're not a hobby shop. They're an entertaining education program, that gets funded by our patronage at the store. Semantics, some would argue, but the difference plays out in their priorities.

What drives the R&D isn't new products for us to buy (it does consume some of their attention, but it's a secondary priority), instead what's needed for the next episodes. The next episodes includes build videos and the accompanying plans -- we all love those -- but they've got a continuous flow of new models in the pipeline. The Shindin is one, although it's been in the pipe longer than average, but it's only one of many models under development.

Frustration aside (I get it. I want one too!) just like not releasing the airframes too early because an inconsistent build gets blamed on them, If they release their release schedule -- "update on progress" -- they get blamed for not giving their audience something free "On Time". Who likes to get blamed for missing a self-imposed deadline?

Relax. It will happen, when it happens, it will be sooner today than it was yesterday, and you'll be thrilled with it when it comes ;)

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Unknown.jpeg

FlairFan

I finally started listening to the podcasts, and the Shinden gets a mention at around the 27 min. mark of the 'Versacopter' episode. Mentions 'soon' and 'with the Mig3' (nerdnic's).

I love rocket planes. I still have the Estes Sweet Vee and Centurian/StratoBlaster. But fact is that it's a small part of the audience... I can't blame them for focusing more on quick wins like multi-rotors & such. The fact that they branch out is part of their appeal. FT is what brought me back into the hobby after about a 8-9 year hiatus (having two daughters will do that). I actually found myself getting a little protective when I first started reading this thread. (I'm better now...)

So cheer up. Sounds like the Shinden is still getting some love. (I'm excited 'bout it , too!)

Whooooo!

defhermit

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Fun fact: that saying is derived from the fact that you can check a horse's age by the appearance of its teeth/gums/etc. So it would be rude to immediately inquire about how old a horse is after it was just given to you free of charge. It's like, just be happy you don't have to pay for the horse, dude.