How much much space for FT Flyer?

engineer

I've got my FT Flyer built, all my electronics working, radio set up, but no where to go!
Having never actually done this before, how much space should I be looking for to motor around?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
For the flyer you don't need as much space but as a beginner, you want as much as you can find so you don't have to be constantly turning. A park with a couple of ball fields should work as long as they aren't full of people.

Here is mine in the backyard to give you an idea. Sorry about the vid, it's just the raw file from my 808.

Here is the right video: ...Sorry, Roy. I bet you wish the surgery was next week now...

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
AHHH! crap! sorry guys...give me a sec!

Wow! My bad. That was a test of the battery in the camera since I've had issues with the it shutting down during flight after a few minutes. At least I did have some drawers on, otherwise that might have been so much worse!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Quit whining Roybro! you'll get one eye's vision back soon . . . of course the other is gone for good.

Oh, and thanks for the warning . . . never gonna watch an xxxuzme video again . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Quit whining Roybro! you'll get one eye's vision back soon . . . of course the other is gone for good.

Oh, and thanks for the warning . . . never gonna watch an xxxuzme video again . . .
No, those videos are on a different computer! :cool:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but me sitting in my drawers isn't a sight anyone would look forward to. At least it was only a second or two as I turned the camera to set it down on the desk for the battery longevity test...

engineer

Well, found some space, got everything set up, gave it a toss, and promptly planted it 10 yards away. Turns out my control links were not secure.
Second toss, planted 15 yards away, entirely by control! And that was it for the day! Still have a full battery, and nothing ready to fly.
20130922_153245.jpg
Kinda tore the front up a bit...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Congrats Engineer!

Now that you've got that out of the way, you can get to the fun part . . . repairing!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, found some space, got everything set up, gave it a toss, and promptly planted it 10 yards away. Turns out my control links were not secure.
Second toss, planted 15 yards away, entirely by control! And that was it for the day! Still have a full battery, and nothing ready to fly.

Kinda tore the front up a bit...
I use a little more room than that!

Did you figure out why it planted like that? Looks like a pretty hefty motor so I doubt power was an issue. How about your CG? Or was it a case of
NIPOCS-Nerve Induced Pilot Over Control Syndrome? I still get that on maidens...

engineer

I use a little more room than that!

Did you figure out why it planted like that? Looks like a pretty hefty motor so I doubt power was an issue. How about your CG? Or was it a case of
NIPOCS-Nerve Induced Pilot Over Control Syndrome? I still get that on maidens...

The first was loose control linkage as I mentioned. Nerves seems more likely for the second, fingers don't know how to react in the moment. I think my throws might have been a bit high, not helping matters...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The first was loose control linkage as I mentioned. Nerves seems more likely for the second, fingers don't know how to react in the moment. I think my throws might have been a bit high, not helping matters...

I'm sure you've heard this before, but Expo is your friend . . .

A little glue, a little packing tape, a little TLC and you'll be back hurling your plane to the ground in no time ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
What Dan said is right on, not to mention having dual rates set on low for launch to help get it up and away from the ground smoothly. Just concentrate on keeping it pretty level and in a steady climb until you get to a decent altitude. Get it up high first (if possible) before trying to trim or tune. If your area allows, even wait before turning until it's above the worst of the obstacles.

engineer

Low rates on launch, got it. How much expo for beginner? I had it set for 25%, but that's still full-control at full-control...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The low rates will still scale back with the expo.

If it still seems twitchy, might even set full rates back a bit too. I usually back off by 20% to start if the first flight is twitchy, but sometimes even that's not enough. Might I suggest 80/60% for high/low rate (with the 25-30% expo)? A plane with anemic but useable control is easier to safely land than a twitchy one. If anyone else has tested numbers, I'd lean toward those . . .