Help! How much space?

Jeffo

Just a quick question (as I should be working right now!). I have a FT Tiny Trainer ready time go, and have never flown before. There is a park literally across the street from my house, but now sure how much space a total newbie needs. Sorry for the crude mark up pic! The red line is a hill, about 20ft deep/tall. Basically, the park is a hole. Big enough?
01524512-E5E4-49A9-AA99-BE09FB6FFFAE.jpeg

FDS

Elite member
I wouldn’t fly there when learning, the TT can fly pretty fast and there’s too many trees in that space. It’s also good practice to be as far away from built up areas with lots of properties as possible, that street on the left of frame is a bit close too. Depending on wind you have not got a lot of room to get control back before potentially hitting passers by, kids, property or cars.
I learnt on three soccer fields worth of open ground, there were times when that was barely enough and I did crash outside the perimeter on a couple of occasions. Fortunately it was only open farmland and the land owner is fine with me flying in a limited way over the edge of his property.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @FDS, there is a lot of stuff to hit for someone learning to fly. Once you become proficient with flying, and the wind is in the right direction, it may be possible to fly the TT there. Even so, I'm not sure I would recommend it, just too much stuff to hit.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I would fly in that space, but since you're just starting out, find a big space, get the feel of flying, and then try in the close park. Or It wouldn't hurt to try flying there actually, just be prepared to climb a tree... I still get stuck in trees lol. I did that this week actually...;)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am going to agree with the fact that the field is tiny for a RC model aircraft. Whilst I did learn in an area of similar size, I did get to know each and every tree intimately before I managed what I would call a basic competency. Trees are less dangerous and mobile now but it took hundreds of hours of stick time and as much tree climbing as a lumberjack before the present day skills were realised.

If you were to let us know your general location you might find that there are others flying in areas near to you and so their efforts in finding a decent area to fly in could be used to your advantage.

If you are going to go ahead anyway, the mini scout with the smallest battery and the lightest build will fly slow enough to give you a minute or two of flight before a tree eats it!

Have fun!

FDS

Elite member
Learn to walk before you can run, it’s more fun flying with some plane eating trees when you can be mostly sure that you have sufficient control to dodge them, never mind potential human generated hazards.
The plane is largely irrelevant, when you are learning, in fact for the first few months for most pilots, there is so much else to concentrate on that you won’t want trees or other things anywhere near you.
Your attention will be fully required to keep any plane in the air, please help yourself and find a space away from trees, people and buildings to learn safely.
I have been flying for nearly 2 years now, I would not fly that close to buildings with anything above 250g, partly because it’s illegal here but mostly because I do not wish to harm the hobby’s image by crashing anything into someone’s house. Small super light and slow aircraft are OK for those spaces. Most brushless FT designs are not in that category. They represent a low real risk to people etc, since foamboard is pretty low energy and crumples nicely but they still have props that can give you a serious cut and until you are very sure of your abilities you should put the safety of others ahead of convenience.
The sage advice above about finding others to share your journey will also shorten the learning curve and increase the fun involved in the hobby.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What they said. ;) Not very helpful, I know, but I'm adding another voice with the same opinion. My first ever RC flight was with a Tiny Trainer. This is my build thread, page 7:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-tiny-trainer-build.55683/page-7

Scroll down until you get to a video and you'll see it. You'll also see just how much area I used simply trying to stay aloft. You'll find that you can save a lot of potential mishaps, but you need the space to fly in, while you do so.

Crazy stuff is simply going to happen. It's a given. I'd say make sure you've got enough clear, open area to both maximize your chances of a successful flight, and minimize any chance of potential damage to other people or their property. I wish you all the luck with your first maiden!:)

ScottSteward

Just a quick question (as I should be working right now!). I have a FT Tiny Trainer ready time go, and have never flown before. There is a park literally across the street from my house, but now sure how much space a total newbie needs. Sorry for the crude mark up pic! The red line is a hill, about 20ft deep/tall. Basically, the park is a hole. Big enough? View attachment 154954

Brother, the advice above is good advice. I'll add....find an AMA field nearby and ask a club instructor to put you and your plane on a buddy cord. You'll save yourself a whole lot of heartache and heartbreak. You don't have to join AMA or the club to get the training (at least not right away). It's unlimited free training.

ALSO.....

Go to Google, look up and download an app called "Absolute RC Plane Simulator". It basically amounts to free crashes

Rhaps

Elite member
What others said but also get 10 dollar rc simulator from Steam for PC if you can.
At least for me it was of tremendous help (wish I had it before I destroyed my first Cub)

*Edit: Aaaand seems that ScottSteward was on the ball before me. His choice is for Android, I'm more of a PC master race person:)

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I would say build the mini scout and get the stick time in on that, although those trees do look ominous and you will get it stuck in there from time to time, it will be an easy sub-250 model and be the plane that will cause the least amount of property damage, if that happens. Good luck

Jeffo

I’m just going to use this thread for all my noob questions. Can anyone recommend a small 12-30a esc w/bec, preferably from amazon (free shipping!) ? I bought this one, and it’s HUGE! Tough to cram into the mini scout.
5FBC3732-2A7A-4516-8F2A-FAC39995C7C0.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m just going to use this thread for all my noob questions. Can anyone recommend a small 12-30a esc w/bec, preferably from amazon (free shipping!) ? I bought this one, and it’s HUGE! Tough to cram into the mini scout. View attachment 155820
Even though it’s big, it should work. I used one about that size in my mini scout with 9g servos and a 1500 mah 2s battery and it flew beautifully!

FDS

Elite member
Those cheap motor and ESC combos are pretty horrible. ESC is notchy, has no battery protection programmed, the motors are pretty basic. I would spend a little more money and buy a better ESC, there’s a few options out there. Amazon is a crappy place to buy most plane parts in my experience, where are you country wise and where do you prefer to shop? Free shipping isn’t free, the prices are just adjusted to cover it and there‘s more junk parts on there.

Jeffo

Even though it’s big, it should work. I used one about that size in my mini scout with 9g servos and a 1500 mah 2s battery and it flew beautifully!
I’m using 9g servos as well. Did you have a hard time getting everything to fit into that tiny fuse? I ended up taking the FT power pack out of my TT, and it fit a little easier.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m using 9g servos as well. Did you have a hard time getting everything to fit into that tiny fuse? I ended up taking the FT power pack out of my TT, and it fit a little easier.
I mounted them in the back to get it to balance right with my humungous battery.
4206D113-C012-4B7F-8A33-D3DDC65FDD6C.jpeg
B4327E4D-AEB9-4B31-94AE-83A86DFD11C5.jpeg

Jeffo

Those cheap motor and ESC combos are pretty horrible. ESC is notchy, has no battery protection programmed, the motors are pretty basic. I would spend a little more money and buy a better ESC, there’s a few options out there. Amazon is a crappy place to buy most plane parts in my experience, where are you country wise and where do you prefer to shop? Free shipping isn’t free, the prices are just adjusted to cover it and there‘s more junk parts on there.
I am finding amazon, though good for most things I buy, isn’t great for rc stuff. I live in brantford, Ontario, Canada. Surprisingly very few hobby shops around here. Ordering from the states is always a crap shoot, Sometimes there’s ridiculous duties/handling fees, sometimes nothing. Think I might be stuck with the crazy long shipping times from Banggood or AliExpress.