Help! How must be my Versa Wing size whit this equipment?

kareez

Hi.I'm very happy to be here. (I am sorry. my English is not good).
I would like to make a Versa Wing like this (Propeller in back):
My equipment:
Brushless Motor: Leopard (LC3542-920KV).
Power: Gens (2600 mah-45C-11.1V-28.9Wh).
Propeller: 12*6E.

I want know:
1- The length of each wing.
2- Width of each wing (middle and tip of wing).
3- Maximum weight allowed.
Thanks

mach1 rc

Master member
Welcome to the forums. Each wing is 19inches long and I'm not sure of the other questions. If you switched to the spear it would work good on your setup.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have build many Versa wings. Mine are not stock, I've made many modifications. On mine, each wing half is 20 inches long, for a total wing span of 40 inches. The stock wing is slightly narrower, I got tired of cutting off part of the width. The wing cord is about 14 inches in the middle and 5 inches at the tip. You would be well served to start with the stock plans. My Versa's will have an all up weight around 23-25 oz (650-700g), I'm not sure what the maximum weight would be, another 10-15 oz would be possible, lighter is always better.

The pusher Versa is notorious for being difficult to balance. The Versa, as any flying wing, is very sensitive to CG. The most significant modification I have made is to move the motor forward from the stock location (about 4 inches). I did this to achieve a proper CG without building a nose to move my battery forward beyond the stock wing.

Here is how I found where my motor needed to be. Build the wing, without installing any electronics. Then put the plane on a balance stand, then place the compotes where you would like to have them. I used tape to hold things down while I experimented. Then move things around until you can get the plane to balance. For me the solution was move the motor forward and cut away part of the middle of the wing. When I was happy with the location, I installed everything except the battery. Put the plane back on the balance stand and found the final location of the battery. I needed to first locate everything else to see if I could get the battery close to where I wanted it. Then find the exact location after all of the other components were installed.

The Versa is a wonderful plane and a lot of fun to fly. For a trainer plane, I'd recommend the Storch or Bushwhacker.

kareez

I have build many Versa wings. Mine are not stock, I've made many modifications. On mine, each wing half is 20 inches long, for a total wing span of 40 inches. The stock wing is slightly narrower, I got tired of cutting off part of the width. The wing cord is about 14 inches in the middle and 5 inches at the tip. You would be well served to start with the stock plans. My Versa's will have an all up weight around 23-25 oz (650-700g), I'm not sure what the maximum weight would be, another 10-15 oz would be possible, lighter is always better.

The pusher Versa is notorious for being difficult to balance. The Versa, as any flying wing, is very sensitive to CG. The most significant modification I have made is to move the motor forward from the stock location (about 4 inches). I did this to achieve a proper CG without building a nose to move my battery forward beyond the stock wing.

Here is how I found where my motor needed to be. Build the wing, without installing any electronics. Then put the plane on a balance stand, then place the compotes where you would like to have them. I used tape to hold things down while I experimented. Then move things around until you can get the plane to balance. For me the solution was move the motor forward and cut away part of the middle of the wing. When I was happy with the location, I installed everything except the battery. Put the plane back on the balance stand and found the final location of the battery. I needed to first locate everything else to see if I could get the battery close to where I wanted it. Then find the exact location after all of the other components were installed.

The Versa is a wonderful plane and a lot of fun to fly. For a trainer plane, I'd recommend the Storch or Bushwhacker.
Thank you. I try these dimensions.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
First things first - your prop is oversized for the Versa Wing in a pusher configuration. 12 x 6 is HUGE, and you'll have to modify the elevons for it to fit, if you plan to use that large of a prop. You'll also need to run at least a 40 amp ESC for that prop/motor configuration, or you'll end up burning something up.

If this is your first Versa Wing, I would recommend using a smaller prop with that motor, something like an 8x prop. That 12x6 prop is going to be WAY too much for the stock plans.

Reactions: FDS

danskis

Master member
The versa flies great with that motor in the front. I think it would be difficult to put it in the back

kareez

First things first - your prop is oversized for the Versa Wing in a pusher configuration. 12 x 6 is HUGE, and you'll have to modify the elevons for it to fit, if you plan to use that large of a prop. You'll also need to run at least a 40 amp ESC for that prop/motor configuration, or you'll end up burning something up.

If this is your first Versa Wing, I would recommend using a smaller prop with that motor, something like an 8x prop. That 12x6 prop is going to be WAY too much for the stock plans.
(y):cry:
This is all thing that I use in my versa wing:

Equipment

Weight

1 Brushless Motor: Leopard (LC3542-920KV)

135g​

1 ESC: Hobbywing SkyWalker 60A

63g​

1 Power: Gens (2600 mah-45C-11.1V-28.9Wh)

239g​

1 Propeller: 12*6E or 8*6E

20-27g​

3 micro servo: 9g

27g​

1 Radio control: RadioLink AT9s resiver

11g​

A little Toolcraft, 2 Control Horn and 4 thin wire

4g​

Total

506g​

3 FoamBoards

50*70cm​

And Likely 3 wheels (Weight: 48g). Can I do this?

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

The pusher Versa is notorious for being difficult to balance. The Versa said:
I would second this advice. Here is an article I wrote dealing with the CG issues of having a pusher prop/motor
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/balanced-pusher-wing
The article has plans and if I recall, the motor was moved forward about 10 cm. If you don't move the motor, you'll have to add a huge amount of dead weight to the nose to get it to balance on CG.

This is a video of a guy in our club who built a pusher versa without moving the motor. If you look closely on the wing surface, you'll see two rectangle pieces. These are 1/4" steel pieces he added to get it to balance.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
(y):cry:
This is all thing that I use in my versa wing:

Equipment

Weight

1 Brushless Motor: Leopard (LC3542-920KV)

135g​

1 ESC: Hobbywing SkyWalker 60A

63g​

1 Power: Gens (2600 mah-45C-11.1V-28.9Wh)

239g​

1 Propeller: 12*6E or 8*6E

20-27g​

3 micro servo: 9g

27g​

1 Radio control: RadioLink AT9s resiver

11g​

A little Toolcraft, 2 Control Horn and 4 thin wire

4g​

Total

506g​

3 FoamBoards

50*70cm​

And Likely 3 wheels (Weight: 48g). Can I do this?

A built Versa Wing, no motor or battery, is approx 300g. Add in the additional weight above, and we're at roughly 850g. That's not counting additional weight that would most likely be needed to be added to the front for balancing due to the heavy motor you'll have on the back. Using an 8x6 prop, it is at the very bare minimum of thrust for proper flight, and that is not accounting for drag from the wheels you will have on the bottom of the plane. I honestly do not see this combination flying.

I would recommend a different motor than the Leopard 920kv motor that you have. Try something like a Turnigy D2830-11 (1000kv) motor with the 8x6 prop, and leave the wheels off - the plane will balance better, it will fly more efficiently, and you'll be saving 250g of overall weight, equating into a little longer flying time.