How often do you crash?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have still only had one day of flying where I didn't crash something. And it wasn't today. :black_eyed:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
About 50% of my landings were rough today, but no damage and I just put the plane back right side up and took off again. My fault for flying in gusty winds conditions with the wrong plane for it, but I was curious about how well it would take it. Very pleased with the resilience of the blubaby built using model airplane foam and the blue wonder power setup. A great trainer for practicing ROG landings for me.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If we don't count 'nose over' landings, I just had a second crash free day!

Course that's probably because someone else wrecked really really bad at the field today and appeased the sky god, who didn't feel the need to throw me out of the sky afterwards.

I used my BN Versa Wing to put a divot in some guy's cornfield Saturday. I noticed the foamboard was kind of squishy when I got it out of the garage for the first time this year, so I'm thinking that had something to do with it. Took a big chunk out of the center section and tore up the right wing. Electronics are all fine, so time to build a new one. :)

Supe

Not very often, and not because I'm this wonderful pilot or anything. I'm just not a huge risk taker. Last time I crashed, it was because of my terrible depth perception when I flew my Apprentice into a distant tree. Fortunately it fell out with enough airspeed to pull out and flare to land. Come to think of it, the exact same thing happened to my Superstar 40 almost 7 years ago, except in hung in there for a couple of weeks until a good club member managed to get it down and brought it to me. Wait... I also flew my sport cub into a distant tree... oh man my depth perception sux :p

Crazy Goats

I rarely leave the field without some sort of damage. I fly when it's too windy, I fly homemade planes, I fly planes with a lot of repairs, and I fly like foam is cheap!!!!........but I FLY!

This is how I fly :D Actually, for the past 2 weeks Ive only crashed once or twice. And I have only broken 2 props in 2 years. Apparently my props are very strong.

quimney

I think I could make a plane last.... but I keep trying to learn new stuff. I totaled my plane this weekend practicing takeoffs and landings in a 15 mph wind 45 degrees to the runway, but not until I was on my third battery :) I have got to get better with the rudder :(

This is why I love these planes. low cost, maximum fun. I belong to a club where some guys have thousands in their planes. One guy claims to have $20,000 in his jet. It's real pretty but I don't think I could ever bring myself to fly that kind of money... I like to fly inverted 4 feet off the deck to much :)

I do pretty well, considering I don't have a proper field to fly in, nor a proper airstrip to land. Basically my landings consist of a hard right turn onto a small trailer park driveway. It's surrounded by trees, power lines, and the like.

Now testing new designs is another story, I'd say it's about 50/50 chance of crash.

I'd say 9/10 times everything goes great. But that one attempt turns out to be a nose over onto taller grass. My flying area reminds me of that of airport in japan, that you need to make a 90 degree turn onto the runway. But I will say this, flying in this area has made me a better pilot that's for sure.

LOL when I first started it was crash n burn almost every time. But I just stuck to my guns, and now I can almost always land in that tight spot.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am down to maybe 1 to 3 crashes per day. I only had one this afternoon. Took out my FPV antenna, my landing skids, chipped and dinged up a prop. Was the last few seconds of the last battery where that voice in your head said "WOOT!!! we flew all our batteries without a crash.. Lets do one more trick before we land."

daxian

Elite member
gotta love this foamboard.....

hi ....
still learning ,so every time i go out ...lol.
took out my simple soarer for its maiden today almost had it trimmed out so it was flying straight and level had to climb to avoid a fast approaching tree line ,must have been windier above the tree line ,did a large loop and ploughed into the dirt .
snapped the fuselage in half just behind the power pod, took a bite out of the wing with the rubber bands and a chunk off the wing tip .....
thirty minutes with the glue gun and some gift cards and its ready to fly again ...gotta love foamboard !!!!!
trouble now is its raining cats and dogs, with a health dose of thunder and lightning thrown in .
back to the building board and get that bloody baron finished !!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You hear that voice too?!?

I come home far too often with wreckage because of that jerk!

I tried ear pugs, heavy metal music and that didn't shut him up. Went hardcore Dance n trance, that just got him excited.. Then I tried gangster rap... I had to stop when he started twerking in front of my FPV cam. The voice was bad enough I really didn't need hallucinations as well so I gave in and just listen to what he says like everyone else.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Pretty much every time I go out to fly, I crash something. Most of the time it's non-catastrophic, i.e. repairable. I fly mostly slope gliders though, so landing through wind-rotors is always a little dicey. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I only crashed 3 times today... on one battery. ZERO damage!! Now could everyone please knock wood so I didn't just jinx myself for eternity?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
well?????????????

im still learning ive crashed my tiny trainer till it could fly no more (first flight) so i desided to go with a modded ft flyer kfm airfoil that crashed 6-7 times then on to the bloody baron cracked landing gear spar 2-3 times cartwheeled 9-10 with crumpled wing tips but that plane is durable now im moving to the bronco and vector so over all 21 major crashes

Daemon1954

trying new things to increase my skill level as a pilot leads to crashes on almost every flight. Thankfully my aircraft are foam and not balsa. well except the big mustang (which I have never flown).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I did a stupid this afternoon with my quad. Was doing circuits around home made pylons, nothing special just figure 8 low and fast runs to work more on controlled tighter turning without ballooning. I was on my last battery and had a good run so I figured Id pop out over the hay field and do a couple victory rolls to celebrate and the very second I started to do the first one I realized I had not switched on air mode so when I cut the throttle it rolled over slow and fell like a rock. All 4 props now look like 4 legged octopus with the blades facing down. Luckily no other damage as the field has grown back enough to be padding again since the last cutting.

FunkyPops

quick answer... YES!!

6 months ago, CRASH was my middle name. 3 months ago CRASH was just a nickname. Now... only when i'm pushing my limits, those aren't very high yet so it happens whenever I fly anything more than easy maneuvers (loops, rolls).

still learning, always having fun!!

hackofalltrades

Rocket Surgeon
I almost crash, a lot. Being that my go-to plane weighs 5 oz, has a huge wing area, tiny wing loading, big control surfaces, and lots and lots of static thrust, my version of fun is diving between oak trees on my property on a windy day. TO recover, I just give full control inputs, and lots of throttle. I have only crashed it twice in 8 years, and it was because the elevator locked straight down, and the other is when the battery ejected out the bottom of the plane coming out of a very high G loop. The control surfaces were locked full up and full right rudder (3ch) , so it just sort of floated to the ground, due to the CG now being very far aft. The battery flew about 100 feet away though and took a while to find. I had the plane flying again in a few minutes.

The crash where the elevator locked straight down wasn't pretty. I was trying to recover from something, gave er the beans, and she wouldn't pull up! Cut power, but she lawn darted right into the street 20 feet from me. Broke the front off er. Wasn't pretty, I tell you. Bent my nice Park 250 too. I took some pliers to the motor, and replaced the front of my poor plane. Flies like new. And yep, she's a built-up balsa beauty with a face even I can barely love...