How should I storage charge my Lipo with a simple charger?

Creylo

I have a very cheap Balance charger, the only connect port is for the balance one, there is no option to change the charging mode. The only option is too plug the battery in via the balance port and wait.

How can I storage charge it with this charger?
Maybe i can charge it for 30 minutes and plug it out? I really have no clue so any advice would be super helpful!
Here is a link to the charger: https://m.banggood.com/it/B3-PRO-AC...html?p=JE29128247702201612W&custlinkid=788441

randyrls

Randy
You can connect the battery to a plane and let it sit until the battery reaches a voltage of 3.7 per cell (storage charge). A battery voltage tester will show you the level of charge in the battery and is needed to do this. I have a IMAX B6AC charger, It has a storage charge setting that will discharge the battery until it has a storage charge. All batteries should be balance charged as it makes sure each cell is at the same level of charge.

If you order any charger, make sure it comes with the connectors that match your battery(s). Mine did, but some don't. There are also a LOT of fake B6AC chargers on the market. At the same time you get the charger, get some "Balance Lead Extension Set". I use the extension so I can put the battery in a safety bag while charging, and YES I have had a battery get "smokin hot" during the charge. I carried it outside still in the bag.

Creylo

You can connect the battery to a plane and let it sit until the battery reaches a voltage of 3.7 per cell (storage charge). A battery voltage tester will show you the level of charge in the battery and is needed to do this. I have a IMAX B6AC charger, It has a storage charge setting that will discharge the battery until it has a storage charge. All batteries should be balance charged as it makes sure each cell is at the same level of charge.

If you order any charger, make sure it comes with the connectors that match your battery(s). Mine did, but some don't. There are also a LOT of fake B6AC chargers on the market. At the same time you get the charger, get some "Balance Lead Extension Set". I use the extension so I can put the battery in a safety bag while charging, and YES I have had a battery get "smokin hot" during the charge. I carried it outside still in the bag.
Thanks for the help! I don't have a battery voltage tester but i have thought about getting a better charger that can storage charge, however i only have 1 Lipo battery and i haven't even built my first plane yet so i think i will wait a while before i buy a new charger. I'll try to find a temporary solution for the storage charge. Is there any other way that i can check the voltage or guess the voltage?

Piotrsko

Master member
Consensus among most battery people is that not fully charged (>4.2 @ cell) or discharged (<3.2 @cell) is an adequate storage charge. Top and bottom of the cycle is where the damage occurs. If you have no way to check, leave it sit as is if you havent used it yet. If you have used it, charge it for only 3-4 minutes, then unplug it, you would be still in bulk but not adsorption charge which is an ideal storage spot. Purchase of a test meter or borrowing one would be useful

Creylo

Consensus among most battery people is that not fully charged (>4.2 @ cell) or discharged (<3.2 @cell) is an adequate storage charge. Top and bottom of the cycle is where the damage occurs. If you have no way to check, leave it sit as is if you havent used it yet. If you have used it, charge it for only 3-4 minutes, then unplug it, you would be still in bulk but not adsorption charge which is an ideal storage spot. Purchase of a test meter or borrowing one would be useful
Okay, so i should avoid using it, but if i do i should charge it only for a few minutes to avoid damage. Unfortunately i don't have any people at all that i know of that are even remotely close to the hobby so i can't borrow one. I have not even built my first plane yet and it feels a little pricey with all the things i have to purchase. I'm trying to avoid costs but if a battery checker is useful i will defenitly consider buying one.

Creylo

How long will your battery take to charge? If it takes an hour to charge, then 30 minutes for a storage charge is about right.

You should get a cell checker. They are cheap and provide valuable information.
Okay, great tip! I haven't received my battery but the battery has 2200mah meaning 2.2 amps = 1 Cell = 1 hour charging time. The problem is that i have absolutely no idea at how many cells the thing charges.

I don't have much clue about my conclusion above do please correct any mistakes, and holy moly that cell checker was cheap! Thanks for advice!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...the battery has 2200mah...
That charger is going to take 3-4 hours for a 2200.

I use the iMax B6, it comes in 2 flavors. One runs on 12v & the other has a built in transformer to run off wall power. The IMax will charge and balance your battery in an hour & has a storage charge.

Creylo

That charger is going to take 3-4 hours for a 2200.

I use the iMax B6, it comes in 2 flavors. One runs on 12v & the other has a built in transformer to run off wall power. The IMax will charge and balance your battery in an hour & has a storage charge.
Okay, i will consider buying one but i will try to use the charger i have first and see if I can bear with the long charging time. Thanks for the help!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Okay, i will consider buying one but i will try to use the charger i have first and see if I can bear with the long charging time. Thanks for the help!

I have 1S batteries for which I don't have any means of balance charging. So, I figure out how long a flight is and fly for roughly half of that. Most of them have like 15 mins battery life and I rarely ever fly for more than 8mins per battery. It's that or just keep using them so they regularly cycle. Leave 'em on full charge for too long and they go all puffy.

randyrls

Randy
Watch out! a couple of weeks ago I was charging a 3S 2200mah battery. I always balance charge batteries, even 1S. I always charge at 1C and monitor the charging carefully. I noticed this battery has been charging for 77 minutes. I touched and battery almost burned my finger. IT WAS HOT! I pulled the wires out of the charger and carried it outside. Later (still outside) I discharged it completely and turned it into a battery recycler.