How should I take my very first step?

Jon3D

So I've been watching the show for about two years now and have always wanted to fly RC in some sort of way, but never broke down and tried it. I've watched the beginners series, but they were done before the last few rounds technology booms.

Here's the question: Do I get started in multiroters or do I start with wings?

The follow up to that is, is there a complete kit in the store for the one you recommend that you can point me to? I'm not completely inept, I'm just overwhelmed without a real hands on knowledge.

Thank you in advance!

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Fixed wing is soooo much more inexpensive, and line-of-sight multi rotor flying (I assume you aren't currently looking into FPV?) isn't a very extensive subject in this hobby. Personally, fixed wing would be able to teach you more, but faster and cheaper, too.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Montley is SPOT ON!!

With fixed wing the cost dose rise as you go up in size and performance but the rotor craft seem to have a very rapid increase in price for the craft and parts.

Often a crashed Fixed wing made from FB can be repaired for a few dollars but a similar crash in a Drone could either mean a major rebuild or a replacement.

I love to fly and not wait for the delivery driver so I fly fixed wing, (Mostly).:black_eyed:

jack10525

Yes what these guys said. You may not know this but helicopter pilots must learn how to fly a plane first. I guess it makes the learning curve easier. Anyway I would suggest starting with the fixed wing Tiny Trainer. It is great. Small and forgiving.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
Helicopter pilots do not need to learn to fly a plane first. It's a bit cheaper if they do though. :)

That said, "planes" have some "automatic" orientation built in. So that makes the job of learning to fly a lot easier. Defintiely start with fixed wing.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
this is the best way to start ...

Once I can do that I walk to the computer and boot the flight simulator.

tmack

Start with fixed wing. While Quads are fun, you can get in to a fixed wing much faster and cheaper.

The Swappable Series is where to start. The Tiny Trainer is not a good first plane build.

The Nutball is by far the fastest and simplest build and has been for many many years. I made a nutball on Control Line with 1/2a nitro. There are a zillion versions out there. Some times known as pizza box flyers, the flying stop sign etc.

The Delta in the Swapables would be the next level and the FT Flyer is the most difficult out of that three pack. The Tiny Trainer is a much more complicated build with a fuselage and air foil. More places to screw up as a first plane build.

I have quads, but so far I have not had much desire to build a 250 class quad. I have Inductrix, Inductrix converted to Tiny Whoop, Blade 200qx and Phantom 2.

I still have way more hours on my fixed wing air craft.

I can see how you can get a little overwhelmed. building is great fun and actually fairly simple. However, with no experience whatsoever it is easy to get confused by the wide range of different electronics that are available.

if you just want to get that first experience under your belt then there are lots of fairly cheap ready-to-fly airplanes out there.

I bought an Ares taylorcraft for my first plane. it was about £60 with everything you need for your first flight. i would definately recommend that to start with as its held together by magnets. if you fly it on fairly long grass, a crash can usually be mended in a matter of seconds meaning you can hand launch it again immediately.

it is a 3 channel plane, but you can buy a 4 channel wing for it once you improve. extra batterries and even a power upgrade are easy to obtain too.

i actually handed the plane down to my brother when he started learning so it has certainly earned its keep.

The most important thing i can recommend for your fist flight is that you wait until a VERY VERY calm day. 3 channel trainers don't perform very well in windy conditions.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
To start with fixed wing I still recommend the Tiny Trainer because it has many different configurations from 2 channel glider to 4 channel sport model. Also the wing design is so simple you can even experiment with your own wing designs< (Increased Span), if you want to.

Yes it does have a slightly more complicated build but the extra work is well worth it for the length of learning time and experience you can extract from it.

You can also simply add landing gear and fit a larger motor and the aircraft becomes an ugly contemporary of those retail aircraft which can cost hundreds.

Jon3D

Thank you to everyone who responded, I really appreciate the feedback and it seems like there is a VERY COMMON theme here. For one reason or another, I had been locked off the forum for a while, only to be able to come back and see all the responses today. So thank you and I hope to find my way into the air soon.

jack10525

I have built many Test Flite planes and decided to try something new. I just wanted to fly and not build all the time so I bought Hobby Kings Tuff Trainer 2. It's runs about $120 shipped and you need to add your own radio and battery. So for under $200 you have a decent beginner set up. It flies very slow and easy. It is a 4 channel plane but your could start out using just the rudder and elevator. Check out some youtube videos. I wish I had found this one first although the FT planes are great they have a steeper learning curve.