How to ask for help in a helpful way.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hello all I hope the new year finds you all safe and happy and able to get out to fly on occasion.

It is a good time of year to bring this up as many got new toys for the holidays and are or will be getting out to fly them. We go through this every year and all during the year. A lot of us here are happy to step up and help anyone with questions issues or want to learn. To help us better help you during troubled times I have made a list of things you as the one needing help should bring to the table when asking for help.

It seems the more people we have from different countries the harder it is getting to get the full picture of an issue we are trying to help with. Sometimes getting that information is as hard as pulling teeth from an angry dog snarling and snapping at you. We spend hours or even days just trying to pull the needed information from the one asking for help. Frustration levels on both sides of the table build and make it hard and confusing the more people getting into a thread to help come up with varied ideas due to lack of good starting information.

That said if you need help we are more then happy to do so. Here is a list of things I would like to see when you ask for help.

1. Make and model numbers of the gear we are talking about. An example is saying I have a spectrum radio does not cut it as there are so many variations in what each one they sell can or can not do. Off name parts from banggood is another example. They dont always work or operate as intended so more specifics are needed.

2. Pictures. I can not stress this one enough. More can be drawn from a clear picture then what a new person who is unfamiliar with the gear can put into words. Clear, well lit and in focus panoramic view pictures are best when using cellphones.

3. Video of an issue as it happens if repeatable. Again well lit panoramic videos are best. Vertical video ANYTHING does no one any good unless you area Karen on a rampage then its just plain funny. These can be posted to your tube and can be linked directly to the thread using the insert pull down menu then selecting media and pasting the url of the video there. It will pop up in the thread saving any who wish to help time searching or leaving this site. You can keep the videos private and still be able to drop them in here. You can always delete them later after your problem has been resolved although we ask you dont so others can search the same issue and hopefully already see it has been addressed.

Links to off site pages rarely get answered with the internet safety issues that abound today so save everyone the time and drop pictures and videos directly in your thread here in the forums.

4. Suggested addendums. Use forum keyword search as more then likely your issue is not the first time to happen and there may already be resolved questions elsewhere also checking the Articles people have done.

I know this may sound petty and picky but after trying to help so many people and going thru the same thing in many of the cases it is much easier just trying to establish a certain format for asking for help making the best most easiest way to get answers.

Happy Flying to all.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Add to that, is searching the forum for similar topics. I get the impression that a lot of new members do not explore this wealth of information, either because they do not know how or they like immediate gratification.
Also the Article section get overlooked.

Sadly for some its more of a selfish and lazy thing. Their only interest is to get what they want and that is fly. No desire to learn nor propagate information to anyone else. To prove a point in my history helping people with quads I have had people in PM's beg me for help because the responses in their thread help meant they had to work and find info or actually troubleshoot. Some promised all kinds of things from paying me to simply subbing my crappy you tube channel. I never took money to help someone and never will but the two that promised to sub my channel did but actually unsubbed within minutes of getting their quad in the air never to be heard from here again.

I wont even dive into the nighmare after helping someone over skype...

That is why I posted this thread.. at least we can get what we need and they can get what they need with minimal effort or hassle if they start with the much needed info up front. Hopefully if a few people follow this then it will help out the guys here that step up constantly to help with their knowledge.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
your post reminds me of this: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, which was focused on asking computer related technical questions... but functionally is a very similar list of 'make sure you provide x,y,z when you ask to get better help'... now the difference is that, while that says how to respond to responds like [read the manual] and [search the web], I don't really see responses like that here on the forums (which is generally nice to see.... however there are moments...)

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I would also like to add that people may suggest that you go a completely different way, and it would be better to listen. For example, twice in the last month I have seen people suggesting to somebody to build a tiny trainer before their own design, but they simply ignored the posts. Sometimes you can be a noob and still successfully fly your own design, but these guys had barely any knowledge or understanding of this stuff.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Also it would be nice if the first post was pinned at the top of the hey new guy or girl thread or something. I feel like a lot of noobs aren’t going to look here first.

Unfortunately, the Hey New Guy Or Girl section can be mired with random things that aren't really related. And I'll be honest, I myself am becoming reluctant to help people because I will make a suggestion and have people instantly hated on it like I don't know what I'm talking about or stated that there are better options just because they're cheaper. Makes me less likely to want to offer help...

JasonK

Unfortunately, the Hey New Guy Or Girl section can be mired with random things that aren't really related. And I'll be honest, I myself am becoming reluctant to help people because I will make a suggestion and have people instantly hated on it like I don't know what I'm talking about or stated that there are better options just because they're cheaper. Makes me less likely to want to offer help...
ok that sucks... 'cheaper' != 'better'

I will often first link to FT's store as I figure that since they are providing this nice forum, it is only fair to suggest their stuff first.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
ok that sucks... 'cheaper' != 'better'

I know - I've had to pay the price for it multiple times in multiple things, not just RC (computers, routers, etc) and I've learned that lesson the hard way. But, it is what it is, and it's causing me to rein in my advice.

Bricks

Master member
I know - I've had to pay the price for it multiple times in multiple things, not just RC (computers, routers, etc) and I've learned that lesson the hard way. But, it is what it is, and it's causing me to rein in my advice.

First post pretty much hit the nail on the head information is critical to an answer.

They come here for help so in reality they are asking for an opinion, just ask me in my opinion I am very opinionated. I do not mind helping it does get kind of aggravating when you try and help but they tell you that is not the problem, ( even thou they have not tried it yet ) then why the H-ll are you asking the question for. SSSSHHHHHHSssss kids these days :love: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My favorites are the ones that come here for help and when you give it they say. "thats not how Mr. Steele does it and his fly perfect so I built mine exactly like he did in his video" My thoughts are well then why are you here and not asking Mr. Steele? Probably because he wont help people like we do here...

I got to the point after my dust up with one moron that had migrated here for a while that I don't just jump in and help every one. I sit back and see if they actually WANT help first. UNLESS their thread goes un answered too long then Ill pop in and feel them out.

The advice I give is based either on what I have experienced first hand and resolved or found a better way to do. OR if its something I have not I go and research it to learn it for myself before presenting answers or possible solutions.

I used to get bothered by certain people that just regurgitate "Pro pilots advice" (which is usually the reason most people come here is they followed that advice and got no where) but now I don't let it bother me. I see something I can help with and present my thoughts. If they are used and it helps great, if its not used and they still have issues for not at least taking what I say into consideration then that's great to.. in the end my stuff flys and flys reliably and consistently and I am happy...

but to get back on topic when people do come here giving useable information voluntarily just makes the whole help thing go more smoothly and is more rewarding because it was pleasant. when you have to coax and prod for the information or people keep dragging a thread off topic is when I get frustrated which is why I made this thread to begin with because I know others who help a lot here go thru the same thing and are just as frustrated.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I also hate people randomly starting threads which are inappropriate or just so far off topic the don't deserve a place in the the fun and distractions area. There is currently a new thread which I don't dare click on just in order to report because it is so inappropriate. It really annoys me because then that person just grabs another account and starts trolling us again.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I also hate people randomly starting threads which are inappropriate or just so far off topic the don't deserve a place in the the fun and distractions area. There is currently a new thread which I don't dare click on just in order to report because it is so inappropriate. It really annoys me because then that person just grabs another account and starts trolling us again.

If its the one I am thinking of I just saw it too and reported it

JasonK

My favorites are the ones that come here for help and when you give it they say. "thats not how Mr. Steele does it and his fly perfect so I built mine exactly like he did in his video" My thoughts are well then why are you here and not asking Mr. Steele? Probably because he wont help people like we do here...

and the asker doesn't have Mr. Steele's skill, so we could just respond, and your not doing it like him either ;), but that would be the sarcastic (and not needed) response.