how to assemble edf unit?

Longbaorder23

IMG_20130613_231417.jpg

This is the parts I have. What goes where? Thanks!

earthsciteach

Longboarder - the components in your pic are not a complete edf unit. It appears to be a replacement fan and some miscellaneous hardware. A complete unit needs a fan shroud and motor. I plucked this pic off the internet to give an idea of the components. Of course, each edf assembly will vary.

Attachments

• MiniFan1.gif
    MiniFan1.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 221

Longbaorder23

ahh i see. The parts do fit in the order as described above in the picture! I do have the shroud and my motor is coming in the mail soon. except on my edf, instead of that tiny screw in the cone at the end, i have a huge one that fits in a larger hole at the cone, holding the cone on... looks kinda strange but it works.... Also, when setting up at edf unit, where are the motor wires routed to th aircraft? do I strap them to something? Thanks!

earthsciteach

The wires usually are just passed above the shroud within the intake/exhaust tube in the edfs I've seen. That just bugs me. Given the fresh start, I'd try to run them more cleanly. You can expose the esc to the airflow for cooling purposes.

Longbaorder23

Thanks for the ideas! Im still trying to sort out whats going to go where and what i still need. Ive had to extend all my servo wires and put the ailerons on a y harness. Plus i got a pretty bulky esc, and i gotta make that fit. its thick. Thanks!

Longbaorder23

I also had another quick question, about the planes structural strength. There are no wing bars or horizontal supports. It seems this type of plane needs the greatest strength. Does the little side attachments prove to be strong enough? This 70mm edf jet will run on 6s lipo at very high speed. Should I add some sort of reinforcements? Thanks!

earthsciteach

Nice! I have a spare 70mm edf unit laying around that would fit nicely in that. Hmmm....

It won't hurt to put some carbon fiber in the wings, but it is short and stubby so I wouldn't expect a huge amount of deflection in flight. If it was me, I don't think I'd bother with it. The plane has really good reviews.

Longbaorder23

Thats precisely why i bought it! plus the size, and customizability! Its recond to run with 4s, on the page. But, all my rc projects, from cars to planes, are ALL part of a project i like to call "Overkill" :) I will be running 6s lipo, 100amp esc, and a 1000W motor. Ive already got all of those parts cept the battery, which i will order tonight. So far everything seems to fit wonderfully except the esc is a bit bulky, and the motor wires and esc motor wires are a bit short, but not a problem. I will buy extension wire soon too. Ive seen jets this size go over 100 mph on 4s, but with 6s..... In the reviews, theres a guy who says he runs his on 6s, and loves it. He says its really fast. I want to go really fast too! So I want to make sure i wont like destroy it just cus i do a high speed pass and then pull up and have the wings fly away haha that ALREADY happened to me! Thanks for the ideas, I think also carbon fiber will work great, Ill look into it, and if i have anymore questions, ill come back! Thanks!

Longbaorder23

Will do! Also, is it possible to have aileron control surfaces, and the elevons at the same time? I want everything standard control, but the rudder channel to be the mixed elevators. meaning, when i do rudder, I want the elevators to move like ailerons, but have all other controls be standard. Is this possible with this controller? I do believe it has mixing, but can i have mixed elevons AND ailerons? Heres the tx: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html
It says in description that it does mixing and servo reversing. keep in mind also, that on this aircraft, the servos on the right side vs the left side are mirrored. If you plug them both (lets say ailron servos) into the same channel, and give it a command, they will go in opposite directions. In order for both control surfaces like this (like my elevators) to move in SINC, one servo has to opperate in reverse. Also, what channels are what components? Like throttle and control surfaces. Thanks so much for the help!

earthsciteach

Is this a bank and yank or does it also have rudder? If bank and yank, I'd just go with the ailerons and elevators linked together as elevons. Works great.

I don't know much about eh CT6B other than you need a computer to program it. I've played around with one for a student without much success. But, I'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like that.

Longbaorder23

this plane has no moveable rudder(s). They will not ever be added. So then yes it is bank and yank. So i should just use both elevators in sinc? I think it would be easier. Wouldnt i have to reverse one servo? If i dont they go in opposite directions, results of my bench tests