How to build a 5.8GHz Helical Antenna

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi colorex
The only SMA connectors available here are in fact gold plated. ;)

Jase at the price we get them for, I'm thinking they are 100% gold ;)

I'm made one of these that looks EXACTLY like yours!! Can't wait to try it out!:D

Thanks Man!!!!!!

zann68

Hi zann68

Nice work. As a suggestion, I would probably not hot glue the base of the coil where it meets the SMA connector however the dowel support is fine. Let me know how it goes.

colorex

Unfortunately, it is very expensive to purchase electronic parts from retailers here in Australia. The last SMA connector I purchased was almost $10!

Regards

DM

:) It's all soldered together. It looks odd in the picture. The sma mount pins are soldered in place as well the coil. The dab of hot glue was to help keep it from rotating :) I found the pin in the sma would allow the coil to rotate. Hopefully I can test it out this coming weekend. We had 5" of rain here in Alabama this weekend and still more to come.

Hi zann68

The reason I would suggest not using hot glue around the SMA Reverse PCB – Plug is that it may it affect the antennas performance. Specifically, it could possibly shift the resonance frequency and or affect the Wavetrap.

I hope this clarifies things

Cheers

Jase

PS I hope it stops raining :)

Last edited:

kiwi carl

Hey DM, I'm new to helical antennae but I've noticed in other versions that the bottom of the coil runs parallel to the reflector board 2mm above (or so) for 1/4 of the coil, yours does not... why is that? Also, is .8mm Mig wire ok to use? Also, what thickness copper sheet for the wave trap?

Thanks mate, Carl.

Hi kiwi carl

The first 1/4 turn of the coil does not sit 2mm above the reflector because I've found that given the size of the 5.8GHz helical it was impractical to achieve. Just my personal experience. As for the 0.8mm MIG Wire. I would suggest this would be too thin. Most hobby shops stock 1/16in Copper Round and it is inexpensive. I hope this helps.

Regards DM

kiwi carl

Hey DM, just sent this is a message to you...

Hey dude, just wondering what thickness is the wave trap in that build guide you created? It's just that the link to the web site that's in the materials list says its .0259" which makes it .6mm thick which you can't cut with a knife...

Cheers, Carl

kiwi carl

I messaged IBCrazy, he said that we don't need to use a wave trap on 5.8ghz, and to just mount antennae 1 mm above the reflector...

Hi Gang

I thought you might find the following table useful.

Cheers

DM

Attachments

• Helical Antenna Angle.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,993

Nonamerc

Arman

Some people on dutch forums have tested these and they are getting more range with it then the normall antennas. What a cheap price I think that videoaerialsystems wil sell a lot less cp antennas now! Just waiting for the 1.2 GHz Biquad and the 1.2 GHz inverted vee. Also I think that if they add more antennas such as the helicall and the biquad that they are going to 'steal' allot of costumers from videoaerialsystems and circular wireless!

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Hey Danger, what does this table refer to exactly please mate?

It would appear that the table is the Angle above horizontal (parallel to ground) to set your antenna.

Example: if your plane is 100 meters high and 1000 meters away then the antenna needs to be 5.71 degrees above parallel with the ground to be pointed directly at your plane or craft.

Thurmond

Hi kiwi carl

Yes you can simply add more turns. The reflector size will remain the same. Keep in mind that although this will increase the gain it will also reduce the beam width.

Cheers

Jason

kiwi carl

Cheers dude, one other question, what's the tolerance on the diameter of this antenna?

Hi kiwi carl

Yes you can simply add more turns. The reflector size will remain the same. Keep in mind that although this will increase the gain it will also reduce the beam width.

Cheers

Jason

Hi kiwi carl

Are you referring to the diameter of the copper tube or the diameter of the coil? I've found for this size of antenna 2mm diameter coil strikes a good balance between pliability and rigidity. As for the diameter of the coil, the closer to the diameter of the forma the better.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Jason