How to build a 5.8GHz Helical Antenna

colincolin30

Helical antenna for 900mhz

Finally someone made this in an easy format to follow!! I have looked at making one of these and gave up. No problem on a 900mhz or a 2.4ghz coil instructions. Going to make one today now!! Thanks

Have you any links on the internet for 900mhz Helical Antennas? Looking for cutting sizes.

thanks
Colincolin30

harfordhawk

Just wanted to share a picture of the helical I built tonight. Maybe I'll come back by and tell you how it performs. I built a 4 turn one from the instructions I found here a few months back and I can easily get to 2.5km with it, but tonight I built a 7 turn and we'll see how that does, Thanks to all for the info on how to do it!
2013-01-13 19.54.38.jpg

jrhode13

This may be a stupid question, but...

In the instructions, it mentions the square "reflector" on the bottom...

Although I see "copper sheet" mentioned in the Parts List, the only material for the Reflector I see used in the instructions is the Fiberglass PC Board.

Then later on, we're soldering the "4 pins" to something on the Reflector, but it never told us to use anything but the 50mm x 50mm Fiberglass PC Board.

If it's a "Reflector", shouldn't there be something metallic attached to the Reflector Assembly? Not just a non-conductive Fiberglass PC Board?

(I'm guessing a 50mm x 50mm piece of the Copper Sheet is attached to the 50mm x 50mm PC Board... am I right??)

Thanks,
--Johnnie

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The PC board has a copper covering. Otherwise it is not a Printed Circuit board. This is the board used to lay down a pattern, etch away the unwanted copper forming "circuit" paths to mount components on to build an electronic device.

Thurmond

Last edited:

alcoxy

Copper sheet

Hi jrhode13,

The copper sheet is only to make the wave trap at the very end of the build.

The Fibreglass PCD board has one side with copper and it is that side that the 4 pins solder to, the antenna connects to the centre pin on that SMA plug and goes right through to the other side without touching the copper side.

At least I think that is what it should be. I am going to make this as soon as my parts arrive from ebay :)

Although I see "copper sheet" mentioned in the Parts List, the only material for the Reflector I see used in the instructions is the Fiberglass PC Board.

Then later on, we're soldering the "4 pins" to something on the Reflector, but it never told us to use anything but the 50mm x 50mm Fiberglass PC Board.

If it's a "Reflector", shouldn't there be something metallic attached to the Reflector Assembly? Not just a non-conductive Fiberglass PC Board?

(I'm guessing a 50mm x 50mm piece of the Copper Sheet is attached to the 50mm x 50mm PC Board... am I right??)

Thanks,
--Johnnie

747Pilot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEM-060-2-oz-Single-Sided-6-x-9-Copper-Clad-Laminate-PCB-/160953798739
Let me know if link does not work.

Calculator so you can get a little precise.
http://jcoppens.com/ant/helix/calc.en.php

Thanks,
--Johnnie

Tscott69

I have the Fatshark Predators V2 and only had about 300 m range. Built this antennae tonight with parts from Radio Shack and Home Depot. I had to use 14 gauge wire (1/16 in is called for) because they didn't have any 16 gauge.

I did a test flight and easily made it out to 1/2 mile with no static or loss of signal.

maxi

Hi kiwi carl

The first 1/4 turn of the coil does not sit 2mm above the reflector because I've found that given the size of the 5.8GHz helical it was impractical to achieve. Just my personal experience. As for the 0.8mm MIG Wire. I would suggest this would be too thin. Most hobby shops stock 1/16in Copper Round and it is inexpensive. I hope this helps.

Regards DM

would 1.25mm wire be ok

oOFutteOo

How do i Tell if my clover leaf is left turn or right turn. Im wating on a FPV 5.8ghz from aliexpres but im not shur how the cirkula polarisation of the antennas are
image.jpg

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
That photo you posted of that FPV set includes the description "L Cloverleaf" which indicates/implies left-hand cloverleaf, I believe. If you were to open up the antennas, you would see how the lobes are constructed.

oOFutteOo

So have if i have understod it right, then they Will not work with the antenna above. To make the i have to make the spiral turn the other way around, have i got i right.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I didn't know you already have an antenna... but that set you posted includes two antennas from the look of it, and they would work together... if you have an existing antenna, you would have to double check. That said, if you have left hand and right hand polarized antennas, on the same channel, you will receive a signal, it will just be attenuated / the signal will be weaker.

oOFutteOo

I have not gotten the set yet and i dont have an antenna already i was hoping to build a helical antenna insted of the reciving antenna or as a part of a deversity system

oOFutteOo

I have made this 3D drawing to make a 3D print from to make the antenna from, i know i am proberbly getting a head of my self but i really like to draw i sketchup so i draw all sort of small components. The good thing one of my frinds have just gotten a 3D printer so now i can hopefully get som of them printed