How to build a 5.8GHz Helical Antenna

Hi Gang

I have been working on instructions on how to build a 5.8GHz Helical Antenna.

Enjoy

DM :)

Attachments

• Helical Antenna.pdf
    449.4 KB · Views: 16,439
  • Guides.pdf
    40.2 KB · Views: 15,248
Last edited:

zann68

Finally!!

Finally someone made this in an easy format to follow!! I have looked at making one of these and gave up. No problem on a 900mhz or a 2.4ghz coil instructions. Going to make one today now!! Thanks

Hi zann68

The above instructions are appropriate for 5.8GHz only. You will need to scale them for 900MHz or 2.4GHz. My intention was to collate everything I'd read into a simple guide. I hope they point you in the right direction.

Kind Regards

DM

zann68

Hi zann68

The above instructions are appropriate for 5.8GHz only. You will need to scale them for 900MHz or 2.4GHz. My intention was to collate everything I'd read into a simple guide. I hope they point you in the right direction.

Kind Regards

DM
It does. You cannot find a good instruction for the 5.8ghz helical's. I've ordered my boards & plugs to make one for myself and my son. Do have a question though. The Guide is it to scale? Not much worried on the reflector but the pattern for the dowel wrap.

Thanks again for you efforts for our hobby!!

Hi zann68

Thanks for the kind words. Everything is to scale. When you print the guide measure the width of the forma, it should be 47.1mm wide.

Regards

DM

zann68

Direction

Hey, this being my first Helical Antenna I need to know does it matter on the coil direction. I know when I make the CL you have a Right Hand and a Left Hand. Does this apply with these as well. Just wondering:confused:

Thanks in Advance

Hi zan68

The Helical Antenna is circularly polarized, so you can make it either left hand circularly polarized (LHCP) or right hand circularly polarized (RHCP). The article that I have published is for a right hand circular polarized (RHCP) antenna. I find the easiest way to think of it is to imagine a bolt and its thread (see below).

thread.gif

Hope this helps

Regards

DM

Last edited:

zann68

My Build

Hey, this being my first Helical Antenna I need to know does it matter on the coil direction. I know when I make the CL you have a Right Hand and a Left Hand. Does this apply with these as well. Just wondering:confused:

Thanks in Advance

DSCN1882.JPG

Thanks for your step by step build on the 5.8ghz antenna. Took me about 20min to make this one. The only thing I did different was hot glue the base where the coil meets the sma plug for better support. I also hot glued a small dowel to the coils as well for support. Radio Shack had every thing for this build. Cost was around $14.00 half was that sma plug :)

Hi zann68

Nice work. As a suggestion, I would probably not hot glue the base of the coil where it meets the SMA connector however the dowel support is fine. Let me know how it goes.

colorex

Unfortunately, it is very expensive to purchase electronic parts from retailers here in Australia. The last SMA connector I purchased was almost $10!

Regards

DM

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
colorex

Unfortunately, it is very expensive to purchase electronic parts from retailers here in Australia. The last SMA connector I purchased was almost $10!

I can buy 3 bananas here for $0.05! But if I want an RC plane, it will cost me about $350 for a SuperCub RTF. Electronics stuff isn't that bad, I don't know about that SMA connector, but similar cable TV connectors are out there for a dollar.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
SMA connectors run $3.25 ea from Jameco Electronics in the US. colorex that looks like a cable TV type connector. SMA connectors are the type on the antenna connection of most wireless routers. Dead routers are a great source to "scrounge" them from for free.

Thurmond

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Danger Mouse said:

100% correct! Maybe our SMA connectors are made of Gold lol