Help! How to change Power Pack C for more speed

I am wondering what the forum people do to tweak the Power Pack C for speed, changing the prop in particular. Per the spec sheet, they only list a 10x6 prop, which would draw slightly less current, 500 more RPM, and 100g LESS thrust. If what I here on the videos is correct, more pitch is more distance moved in the forward direction per revolution.

I think I will be trying this next, but I am curious what y'all are doing to experiment with the Power Pack C.

Attachments

• GT2215:09 spec.png
    GT2215:09 spec.png
    688.1 KB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
One thing to watch for in these types of specs is that the numbers are static thrust (motor on a bench, not moving through the air). On the bench the 6 pitch prop will not pull as well as the 4.7 pitch but in the air I would expect the 10x6 to be faster if you can get the rpm back. Definitely worth a try - also look at a 9 x6.

DamoRC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Oh No! A Propeller Question!:eek:

I will try my best to add something!. First thing to remember is that most motor testing is done statically and the thrust you can expect at top speed is just going to be a guess unless your model is going to be a slow flying entity. Add to that the fact that propellers are not all equal. I have had issues getting the stated thrust at times until I found the type of propeller that performed best.

As I do a lot of playing with high Kv motors of late I have found some counter-intuitive facts. For higher speed often a smaller diameter prop with a higher pitch is best. Often this diameter reduction can be used to fit a 3 or 4 bladed propeller of high pitch.

The range of pitch across the propeller blade span can lead to serious inefficiencies. The part of the propeller that provides good thrust at take off can actually be useless at high speed, and the part of the blade that provides most thrust at high speed can be stalled at take off.

Just a story from recent experience! A bix 2 had a mid air wing fold followed by the long drop and sudden stop. Anyway the owner was just going to bin it as he was bored with it anyway so I grabbed it and pieced it back together. The owner had removed the propeller and adapter for use elsewhere so I searched for a replacement. Originally it had a very noisy 6x4 2 blade prop but I had none so I grabbed a 5x4x3 that I had sitting around and took it out for its post repair maiden. I opened the throttle fully and the Bix took off like a scalded cat. It climbed out at around 70 degrees and was so fast that it was passing almost every warbird in the air at the time. Now the owner has it back, (a sudden change of heart?), and now hoons around buzzing the so-called high speed planes. The only difference from standard was the fitted prop.

If you want to go faster reduce the prop diameter and increase the pitch you may be pleasantly surprised at the results!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Arcfyre

Elite member
I am wondering what the forum people do to tweak the Power Pack C for speed, changing the prop in particular. Per the spec sheet, they only list a 10x6 prop, which would draw slightly less current, 500 more RPM, and 100g LESS thrust. If what I here on the videos is correct, more pitch is more distance moved in the forward direction per revolution.

I think I will be trying this next, but I am curious what y'all are doing to experiment with the Power Pack C.

Real world experimentation is always going to net you the best results in your particular application. The only thing I can add to that is to make your changes in small incriments, as a minor prop change can sometimes make a huge performance difference.

I run a 4238, 750 kV motor on a 60" sport flier. With a 12x4 wooden prop it flies scale, maybe even a touch underpowered. With an 12x6 it flies a little peppier than scale. With a 12x8 slow fly prop it's a rocket with almost unlimited vertical.

I would invest in a cheap watt meter and record data when you make changes. The watt meter will also let you know when you are putting too much stress on your electronics.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I decreased the timing on my Emax 30a esc to "Mid-low: 8°" and found a significant increase in power with a 10x4.5 prop over the other timing settings. For more speed I would prop down and run 4s. The problem with these older Emax motors is not a lot of recent testing of props and batteries, the C pack motor and handle 4s on a 9x6 APC prop.

I decreased the timing on my Emax 30a esc to "Mid-low: 8°"
Didn't realize you can program these things. Hmmm... another thing to research, thanks.
... C pack motor and handle 4s on a 9x6 APC prop.
. Another time I did not know. So many things to learn. Do you have any idea how much change in speed one might see going from 10x4.7SF/3s to 9x6APC/4s?? Is this worth all the effort and having to buy another set of stuff. So far I have standardized on the C Pack for all models.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Didn't realize you can program these things. Hmmm... another thing to research, thanks.
. Another time I did not know. So many things to learn. Do you have any idea how much change in speed one might see going from 10x4.7SF/3s to 9x6APC/4s?? Is this worth all the effort and having to buy another set of stuff. So far I have standardized on the C Pack for all models.
Programming instructions attached, they also usually are included with the ESC.

If you are comfortable flying the 3s setup, sure move up to 4s. There are better options for speed out there. @nerdnic has a lot of good recommendations for speed motors/prop combos that will get you moving in a hurry!

Attachments

• Emax BLHeli ESC Manual.pdf
    121.2 KB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i run the old c-pack motor on 4S all the time with a 9x4.5E and a 30A esc. with that said, i also am on the hunt for a faster, more powerful replacement. my edge 540 is just sitting waiting...

post up what you end up finding/using.

thanks,

me :cool: