How to Contact the FAA

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
You can't have your "drone" fill out this form for you. HA!

Not a robot.JPG

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I think first that this information will be leaked if you fill it out. The only times my CCs have ever been compromised is when I used to register my vehicles on the Colorado web page. I wouldn't fill this out any more than I will fill out a UAS registration and for the same reasons.

Secondly, once the police show up, reason is done. Your options are fight or submit. Such are the tools of bureaucracy. In other words, don't speak to police and don't speak to the FAA. It is a waste of your time and, literally, deadly dangerous. Talk to your representatives in Congress. As ugly as that sounds, that is the only option we have for reason and civilized conversation.

FliteTime

Contacting representatives in Congress

Talk to your representatives in Congress. As ugly as that sounds, that is the only option we have for reason and civilized conversation.

I bet it would be better if:

1. People are shown how to contact their representatives properly. I think there's a website people can put their zip code into and get their reps name and phone number.

But it may be better if some of the nice smart people on here got together and drew up a letter so we can put our reps name on and mail/email or fax (if that still exists), a letter that will point out all the details.

Just an idea, I'm guessing/hoping it's already been done. If someone finds it please post it so it can end up in everyone's sig. And we need to figure out a way to get it into the hands of everyone with a transmitter.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I can work on a letter outline tonight for people that want a fill in the blanks approach, and I'll also start a thread for contacting congressmen/congresswomen.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Congress pretty routinely ignores letters.

A phone call to the Washington DC office is logged by a staffer and your request (for or against) is logged and aggregated.

A letter may get you a nice form letter in reply but probably won't make it past the bin. The form letter will be sent electronically by a machine that reads the return address before the mail is delivered.

I recommend you research your representative. Mine is Doug Lamborn. His thing is veterans. I am one. I fly at the local VA to help vets and this makes any vet who wants to fly a felon if he builds a foamie and fails to register. I explained that in under 90 seconds, thanked the lady and hung up.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Congress pretty routinely ignores EVERYTHING but their OWN interest!

Yes!

That is the point. It makes them predictable and simple to control. We simply have to show them how our cause is in their best interest. Study your representative. Find an opening where you can connect with HIS agenda and make our cause his or her cause as well. Write it down. Have a Snickers :) and be sure your message is under 2 minutes. Call the Washington office and clearly state your case.

People who send in form letters are passionate for 30 second intervals and go to McDonalds instead of the polls on voting day.

People who call and can be coherent in person tend to vote and impact elections and your representatives' future.

The keys are to find a way to connect and have that Snickers before you call. :)

FliteTime

Most people won't even do a thing, that's why I suggested showing people how and make it much easier. Much less will be done if form letters aren't even sent.

FliteTime

I'm trying to figure out how to get everyone with a toy plane, quad, flying car, whatever to send one. The media seems to want to make everyone believe this is only about multi-rotors.

Does anyone ever draw attention when flying in parks? Talk to them about it and give them a few form letters to send pass out. The purpose of the form letter is to bring attention to the details.

There have to be ways to reach the people that will/do care about this issue.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have asked in the past (2013) for FT to do a PSA.

We need one more now than ever before. A professional PSA sent out to news stations nationwide could change the dialog.

FliteTime

Ok, well does it have to be a company/organization that sends the PSA or can just anyone do it? I'll start reading. I'm sure someone on here owns a company, heck I could start a LLC if that's all it takes.

Why hasn't the AMA put out a PSA?

Last edited:

FliteTime

I guessing that things may really get stirred up when next semester starts for the college kids, they have many multi-rotor clubs. Hopefully they will keep at the mob rule mentality, guess it'll favor us in this situation. They have a lot of talent, maybe a group will get together and make a PSA.

Todd

If you really want to see how insane the FAA is on this understand that under part 103 you can legally fly an air recreation vehicle (ultralight) with no registration whatsoever up to a weight of 254 pounds.

So if your full scale airplane is under 254 pounds you can operate it with ever telling the FAA. But now you have to register everything above half a pound if you can't sit in it.

Totally bizarre.

I also agree that contacting the FAA is pretty much useless. And as I've found on other issues, contacting my Congress critter is also equally ineffective. (Many times I've emailed him regarding various issues, only to receive a form letter thanking me for my inputs and then bragging about how he has taken the position opposite of my desired course of action).

Talking about our interests is pointless. We have to demonstrate how the FAA's action is against the interests of those in CONGRESS.

The Legislative Branch has again been given the finger by the Executive Branch -- by the FAA's action to disregard the laws passed by Congress regarding model aviation. The simple act of the FAA redefining what constitutes a model aircraft, and making a new category called sUAS, is clearly an unconstitutional power grab by the Executive Branch.

Congress needs to step in and put the brakes on this immediately, or they will face a continued erosion of power and relevance in managing domestic affairs. They need to view this as a threat to their power and significance in order to get them to act -- it is pretty clear to me that they can and/or will not be motivated by the will of their constituents.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If you really want to see how insane the FAA is on this understand that under part 103 you can legally fly an air recreation vehicle (ultralight) with no registration whatsoever up to a weight of 254 pounds.

So if your full scale airplane is under 254 pounds you can operate it with ever telling the FAA. But now you have to register everything above half a pound if you can't sit in it.

Totally bizarre.

You just gave me a fantastic idea for the 150 MN2213 950kV I just picked up. Possibly they can "Pick Me UP";):applause:

Thurmond