How To Crash A Homebuilt Multicopter

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Quadcopters And Tricopters Crash Compilation

Crash compilation from several years of building and flying.
Watch various quadcopters and tricopterst falling from the sky in crisis.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks for posting. As the crashes accumulated I began to wonder about the expense and the time to fix. If you were to ever post one of these again I would suggest considering posting how much money and how much time each crash cost.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
It's usually more time than money for me to get back in the air. I've used crash experience to try and build them more durable. My latest build (polyflex quad) has crashed six times and only broke one prop twice. Massage, pep talk and back to the sky. In that whole compilation I can say I broke
lots of props which can add up $?,
one camera lens, replaced for $15,
a few arms, $30
a few video transmitters $40
and countless voltage alarms ~$4 each

About a year ago I lost two quads in the one month, but I don't even want to talk about that. Now I use a tracker and luckily haven't had to use it. Thanks for the suggestion,
Ken

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I was thinking the damage and repairs would be more significant.

Yes, it could have some to do with how forgiving our local RC field is, where most of those crashes occurred. The landing strip and helicopter area are surrounded by tall brush most of the time. Softer crashes but harder to find.

I forgot to mention one tricopter tail servo ($13 @ FT) that had seen much abuse. I can personally vouch for the FT tricopter tough tilt motor mount, I have not been able to break it yet.
Ken

--Oz--

For freestyle, if you build the right quad with good components (RaptorQuad.com frame, $11 RS30A-V2, $11 rcx RS2206-2400 V3, revolt FC, X4R-SB, TG 4S-1300-65c), you rarely brake anything but props. It took me 13 months, 10,000+ flights (250_ hours) to break one arm on my Raptor quad, nothing else but 37 cent props.

Last edited:

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Wow, that's some serious air time! I will consider the parts you mentioned for future builds. Thanks for sharing.
Ken