Solved How to design curved surfaces with a 2D drawing tool?

jpot1

Elite member
Looking for help using Inkscape for a project @Michael763 and I are working on. The plane has some curved nacelles that taper at one end. I see plenty of posts like the one screenshot below but curious how people figure out the size of the curved ends?

I prefer not to learn a new tool if this is possible in Inkscape or with a little math. Any help would be appreciated!

EFAE3F04-F2FD-432D-938E-13F8709E8403.png

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Looking for help using Inkscape for a project @Michael763 and I are working on. The plane has some curved nacelles that taper at one end. I see plenty of posts like the one screenshot below but curious how people figure out the size of the curved ends?

I prefer not to learn a new tool if this is possible in Inkscape or with a little math. Any help would be appreciated!

View attachment 116908
For the most part, I use math to do this kind of thing. There are also tools out there that can generate the correct arcs.

Google truncated cone patterns.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
No problem. If you're looking to expand on airplane complexity, look at what arts and crafts people, and paper card modelers do. Lots of tools and stuff like this out there for paper and cardboard.