Help! How to do scale details?

Battery800

Elite member
This isn’t specifically a balsa question, but I want to achieve some of the little details on scale balsa builds in a foam model. The main things I’m focused on are cockpits, windows, and other things like maybe some panel lines.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are many things you can do. Cockpit glass and windshields can easily be made from the clear plastic containers fruit like blueberries and strawberries come in. Instrument panels can be as simple as printing out a dashboard and gluing it on a panel or as intricate as hand painting gauges and such. Seats are easily carved from foam and painted or if your really into detail using normal foam and covering it in cloth.

Then there are things like air brushing which I am just getting into.

then you can go really all out and do things like @willsonman or @rockyboy and @wilmracer do. look up any of their big builds and you can learn some serious tricks and really cool things that can be done.

Battery800

Elite member
There are many things you can do. Cockpit glass and windshields can easily be made from the clear plastic containers fruit like blueberries and strawberries come in. Instrument panels can be as simple as printing out a dashboard and gluing it on a panel or as intricate as hand painting gauges and such. Seats are easily carved from foam and painted or if your really into detail using normal foam and covering it in cloth.

Then there are things like air brushing which I am just getting into.

then you can go really all out and do things like @willsonman or @rockyboy and @wilmracer do. look up any of their big builds and you can learn some serious tricks and really cool things that can be done.
Thanks!

checkerboardflyer

I wanted to add a windscreen and side lights to my Jupiter Duck. For years I have been using a comic strip app called Comic Life. Decided to see if I could draw what I needed using that app. Sure enough, it worked. The part that fades from black to gray to white is called a gradient. I estimated what size and shape I needed, then drew them and printed them out on shipping labels, which have a sticky back. After printing you cut your designs out with scissors and X-acto. Then peel and apply. More tips and resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-jupiter duck.jpeg
    1-jupiter duck.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-jupiter duck.jpeg
    2-jupiter duck.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-jupiter duck.jpeg
    3-jupiter duck.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-comic life.jpg
    4-comic life.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5-shipping labels.jpeg
    5-shipping labels.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 0

checkerboardflyer

I learned this trick in reform school making parking signs for the warden. (Just kiddin’) I had some number stencils left over from another project. Wanted to see if i could reverse them. Usually with a stencil you remove the parts in the middle, then tape the outside to a surface and spray through the openings. That makes a positive. What I did was to spray a light adhesive on the back of the stencil before I punched the center pieces out. Then laid the whole stencil on to the vertical stab of one of my FT Scouts. Pressed the center parts down and removed the outside part. That makes a negative. Then sprayed the area, let it dry, then remove the center parts. Worked well. More tips and resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-stencil trick.jpeg
    1-stencil trick.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-stencil trick.jpeg
    2-stencil trick.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-stencil trick.jpeg
    3-stencil trick.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-stencil trick .jpeg
    4-stencil trick .jpeg