how to get Go Pro to wrok with Fatshark 5.8 ghz system ?

Richie

Hey folks having killed my fatshark camera (from the v2 predator) in a recent cash, i want to try and get my go pro to work.... i fllowed some instructions on youtube however i get shocking picture quality or none at all. i have a 4 pole 2.5mm jack plug, some screened wire, and the 5 pin flat plug for the fatshark transmitter, can anyone help me ?

cheers folks

Richie

Nonamerc

Arman
Hi richie it is not a good idea to use a gopro as your FPV camera.
Reasons why you should not use a gopro as your FPV cam:
-Gopro's sometimes crash
-If your battery is empty of your gopro it will automaticly turn off.
-Gopro's dont like cold weather

Just buy a cheap ccd camera its 10x better!

Richie

What type of camera came with the V2 fatsharks ? As it was utter dog muck ! I thought loads of people were using the go pro's ?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I don't think there's that many people doing it (using the GoPro). Most who know what they're doing get a ccd camera for the flight cam and record using a HD camera (GoPro or other). As I've mentioned in other threads, CMOS cameras don't adjust to light changes very well. The stock Fatshark camera is CMOS and widely known as excrement for FPV.

You can get a 420TVL ccd camera for less than $15 which far outperforms the GoPro, Fatshark branded or any other CMOS camera as a flight camera. The commonly linked 600TVL one from SC2000 has a better processor and is supposed to be even better when set up correctly.

Murphy's Law seems to apply double for FPV, as does the KISS principle.

Richie

Where is best to get these cameras from guys ? Thanks for your help by the way

Richie

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
And let's not forget Hobbyking and DealExtreme

There are a couple on ebay as well. They all pretty much come with narrow lens, which is best to change for fpv. I like the 2.5mm lens, which gives 130 degrees fov. I've also got a 2.1mm lens that's 150 degrees, and the edges are distorted even more than a GoPro image. These lenses just screw in to replace the stock one.

Richie

Hey folks... this camera stuff is a minefield... i went onto HK to buy one and i always check the reviews, but alas most of the reviews dont seem to good.... the camera i had was CMOS running NTSC... i am looking for a camera that i can plug straight onto the wiring loom that came with the fatshark V2's the NTSC cameras seem to get slated but i presume i am stuck with that format. or can i run a PAL camera on the same transmitter... itching to get the system up and running again... its a bit windy here for my foamy's but its ok for the Heli's i have so wanted to get some fpv time in... thanks for your help in advance folks

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
You're better off not checking reviews, but asking people who actually use them. The CCD cameras are generally 12V, so you need to make up a cable to power it from a 3s battery. The replacement lenses are also a must for these cameras - you'll get a much better picture as well as a wider fov.

Richie

right, i have gone with the sony camera for $17 bucks and ordered the 2.5 lens for it... looks like i will have to splice into my battery wires on my 3s battery i have to power the thing.... will keep you guys posted and fire up some pics of the install once i get it back.. i wish i had not bothered with the fatshark goggles now, and had just gone the ground station route and used a monitor.... would have been easier to replace the camera etc etc with fatshark running 5v systems..... most oher camera's i have been looking at are all 12v....typical !

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
That's right. Most cameras are 12V. Making up a lead to power it off a 3s is really, really simple. Just wait until you start splicing in to your system for an OSD....

I can't imagine ever going to a screen after flying with goggles.

Lubis

Most systems are 12V, BUT some of them only use 5V for the camera. Therefor they have a built-in power transistor from 11,1V to 5V and hence you can use a 2S or a 3S. Dont know how the video transmitter will work though.