How to identify if a fpv transmitter is compatible witha fpv receiver?

lpinho

Hi all,

I'm would I like to understand a bit more on how to determinate if a fpv transmitter module is compatible with a receiver.

Is it just a frequency matter? Do all modules use the same protocol?

For example, I see a lot of people using this module for mini/micro quadcopters:

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-200mW-Wireless-Audio-Video-Transmitter-Module-TX5823-p-84780.html

I would like to use this module to modify my training quadcopter (syma x5c), I would like to build the receiver myself instead of buying an already made , but I've got some problems (or lack of know how)

- I cannot find many Boscam fpv receiver modules (only already made receivers)
- I don't know how to determine if a receiver is compatible with the transmitter

I'm just trying to build a fpv system for a small quadcopter that I can later reuse in a bigger one (not buying googles, just trying to use either a tablet - easycam way - or a old portable dvd screen to avoid the lag of the tablet) without spending too much money.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

L. Pinho

Darkback2

So from my personal experience there are 5 or so different bands of 5.8 ghz...So there are a couple of things you have to look for when choosing a VTX/VRX combo. From a cursory glans I think that transmitter is on E band or Fr3. If your receiver is able to receive that band then you are good to go. My personal receiver on my go to goggles is an old Boscam. The channels I can receive would only line up with a couple of the channels that transmitter is capable of putting out, so it would not be a good choice for me. I also have a set of Quanum V2s with a 32 channel receiver. It can take 4 of the 5 or so bands. A, B, E, and F, but not race band. I could use that headset with the transmitter you linked to and have 8 channels to choose from.

Hope this helps.

DB

lpinho

Hi DB,

I would like to avoid having to buy a set of goggles because of their cost, (even the 60 USD ones are out of my budget for this hobby) and in my country the legislation may forbid (is still being discussed) the use of devices that don't allow a line of view with the device being flown.

But considering the compatibility factor, its only a matter of frequency?

Thanks for the reply,

L. Pinho

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
So that particular module will only transmit on the 8 listed frequencies. Your going to want to make sure that whatever receiver module you buy, it's capable of picking up the same frequencies(on the description page, they usually list the frequencies.) I would recommend going with this vtx over the one you linked. It's actually the same exact module only a little cheaper and ready to use (comes with a linear antenna and wires and such) Also, here's a receiver that will work well with it. This type of receiver can be used in conjunction with any screen that has a standard "video in".

As for your original question, yes it's only a matter of frequencies. if you have a tx transmitting on the 5745mhz band, you'll want to make sure you have a receiver that can "tune in" to the 5745mhz band. So with "raceband" there is no special protocol or anything, they just space thier frequencies out a little more (by 37mhz) and most receivers are spaced out by only 20mhz, and wont match up.

Darkback2

Sorry...After looking over my post I can see how it wasn't exactly helpful. As Habakkukk suggested. Look over the list of frequencies the transmitter is capable of transmitting on. In your case the available frequencies are 5705, 5685, 5665, 5645, 5885, 5905, 5925, and 5945. If the receiver you are purchasing can tune into any of those 8 frequencies then you should be fine.

What country are you in if you don't mind my asking? It would be cool to have a (Who is the farthest away from FT headquarters contest...)

Keep us posted on your projects.

DB

elw773

It looks like it is band E, so look for any receiver that is labelled as compatible as band E. Anything made by Fatshark or imersion is band F so they wont work (and they are too expensive for your budget). Boscam has receivers for bands A, B, E, and F, so be sure to look at the description. Most receivers from hobbyking use band E as well but be sure to look in the product description.

lpinho

Hi Habakkukk,

thanks for the reply.

Since my 1st try at FPV will be using a small quad (syma x5c), I'm not able to use the transmitter because the operation voltage is between 6 and 12v (syma cannot handle a 2s battery because of its weight), I must use a transmitter that works with 3.3 to 5 V, but I get your idea, thanks for the explanation regarding frequency matching.

L. Pinho

lpinho

Hi DB,

I live in Portugal (Europe), long time follower of flite test (started with rc group, rc explorer and then flite test) but never posted my projects in flite test.

Thanks for the band explanation, I will look for those technical features.

I think I might take some pictures of this "Cheap syma x5c to fpv conversion", already got a title ;)

L. Pinho

lpinho

Thanks elw773,

yes I heard that Fatshark and Imersion have their particular frequencies, but at this moment this brands are out of scope.

Trying to get a functional and cheap concept, that I can share between my flying machines (2 airplanes and 2 quads) and try to spread the word that not everything on this hobby will cost you hundreds of dollars (or euros).

Its a shame that several friends of mine love the hobby (or at least its concept) but all they see is those fancy DJIs (and prices) and forget that there's a world of diy projects that are cheap or even RTF machines that are not that expensive.

Lets see how this goes, thanks again for the band explanation.

Regards,

L. Pinho