How to know (from the plane perspective) that the signal is lost?

onlycparra

Chilean Mustang pilot!
[Solved] How to know (from the plane perspective) that the signal is lost?

Hi everybody, this is my first post,

First of all, thanks to each one that make it possible. Well, let me explain a little bit mi idea:

I wanna build a "smart" (maybe no too much) system that do this:

IN THE PLANE:

1) detect when the plane lost the signal
2) wait for certain time (a couple of secs in case the signal is recovered)
3) launches a parachute

So, the roblem is how to know when the signal is lost, are there a pin or something in the reciver that tell me that? I have a Spektrum AR6100e and a dx6i

That's it, thanks again!

Last edited:

Corbarrad

Well, the Ar6100 has a failsafe function standard, so you could hook a servo up to an unused channel and program failsafe so the servo releases your chute on signal loss. You could even trigger it manually like that. Have a look at the breakfatst bomber episode to see a simple release in action. If the failsafe is too quick acting for your purposes you could always put a servo slow down module inbeteen the rx and the servo.
If you're electronics savvy you could probaly use a microduino for that purpose at little extra cost.
You could even get some extra functionality in there. Say you put you chute on 'gear' you could set the failsafe to bring that channel to 50%. This will tell your electronics to wait 5 seconds before deploying while throwing the switch on your tx willset the channel to 100% triggering the chute immediately.
I've seen Microduinos for as little as $10 0nline, so it might be worth thinking about.

onlycparra

Chilean Mustang pilot!
I have already an Arduino, and it was my idea, put a gyroscope and accelerometer to program some "auto-return" routine or just release the parachute... thanks, I didn't know that functionality!

Fraser

I wonder if you could use the paracute material to form the skin of the wing. In an emergency situation the wing skin would detach and become the paracute. Although you would lose the skin strength of the wing covering. Might work better on a flying wing. It would make deploying the chute alot easier since most of it is exposed to the airflow.

Corbarrad

I have already an Arduino, and it was my idea, put a gyroscope and accelerometer to program some "auto-return" routine or just release the parachute... thanks, I didn't know that functionality!

Gyro and accelerometer aren't gonna do you much good for a return to home feature since your board will have no idea as to how far it's gone even if you get the plane to turn around and fly the exact opposite course from where it lost signal that won't guarantee it'll be flying back towards you.