how to make a glider?

zev

lumpy member
so, I scratch built a plane (not from plans) and I don't have a motor at the moment, it is in the mail. I want to see how it glides, but more then chuck it, I want to try some slope soaring. is it safe to fly it with no motor plugged into the esc?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Probably safer for you (unplugged motor = no whirling blades of death).

That's assuming you don't need to power up out of the sink -- then it wouldn't be very safe for your glider at all.

zev

lumpy member
my question was just if it is bad for the esc to have no motor plugged into it. I guess it isn't?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Where do you plan to try slope soaring? There's a popular spot down on the Cape. I thought that the south west slope of Big Blue Hill might be a good spot as well. Although it would be an interesting climb to try to get your plane back if it landed badly.

zev

lumpy member
there is a little park called elm bank near me, they have a huge hill. I am gonna start there, because it is nice and grassy all around, no unrecoverable cliffs.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hmmm, you're talking about the sledding hill? I don't know if that's going to be able to provide enough lift for "true slope soaring."

I'm trying to remember, but I seem to recall some nice hills in the business parks of Waltham. East of 128.

zev

lumpy member
yup, I was talking about that hill. to start off, I just want to try chucking it of a big hill to see how it glides, when I am ready to try teal slope soaring I will look into that.

did you live in natick?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Nope, loving the Florida life. I used to live in FL and worked for a coffee company that had routes all over eastern MA, so I got rather familiar with lots of places. But it's been almost a decade.

Wow, when I take the time to add up the years,I'm getting old...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry Zev,

The Florida comment was a Jab at Monkey, since it has become quite the retirement destination and he's feeling old.

(trying to steer clear of my "Yankey" occupation rant)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Why would there be hard feelings?

Oh, right -- Massachusetts.

Well, you can't help living in that god-forsaken Yankey state . . . ;)