How to make FIREWALL?

jamboree1

There are a few people that have layered gift cards (credit cards) or used CD's backed to the foamboard as motor mounts

ViperTech

Popsicle sticks laminated make a good firewall. Paint stirrer stick, gift cards work,thin plywood or paneling, thin piece of metal will do. Basically any stiff light material you can drill thru and cut would be OK for a foamie.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Usually a craft store that sells popsicle sticks also sells a jumbo version that is more like a tongue depressor. They're usually thinner and have to be layered, but make great firewalls.

Corbarrad

Usually a craft store that sells popsicle sticks also sells a jumbo version that is more like a tongue depressor. They're usually thinner and have to be layered, but make great firewalls.

They sell popsicle sticks without popsicles?
Why'd you go and tell me that after i blew my diet for the sake of the hobby?

Kidding aside, I've got a sheet of 1.5mm hobby plywood that's almost as old as I am and there's still room for a few more firewalls before I run out. Best 5 DM I ever spent.
I usually just score the ply with a hobby knife a few times before snapping off the bits I need. The material is soft enough.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I occasionally buy boxes of Clementine fruit that come with a pine type wood case with flat pieces of pine. I use that for some of my firewalls, especially those types where I just hotglue it to blue/pink foam for combat type planes / anything that runs off something like a blue wonder motor.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
The problem with plastic... If you even a tiny little bit irresponsible with your power plant the screws holding the motor will melt through the mount.

Ask me how I know... :D

Corbarrad

I occasionally buy boxes of Clementine fruit that come with a pine type wood case with flat pieces of pine. I use that for some of my firewalls, especially those types where I just hotglue it to blue/pink foam for combat type planes / anything that runs off something like a blue wonder motor.

I've seen old pcbs, stripped of their components used as firewalls. those should be able to stand some heat at least.

Corbarrad

What about 3mm plywood?to havy?

Depends on your plane, really. Most ft designs will probably benefit from a little more weight up front and you can always move your battery back a little farther. The prop kinda puts a limit to how far forward you can go...

The real point is that 3mm will take a lot more effort to cut compared to 1.5mm.
If you have the tools and the patience I'd say go right ahead.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I like the old PCB idea. Thanks

I once bought some small PC Boards to use as firewalls but never tried it. I had a motor with a weird bolt pattern and the nice thing about the PCBs I bought was that it had so many holes in it, you're almost guaranteed for it to line up properly.

$_35.JPG

ahube

go to a local tobaco smoke shop and get what I use which is wooden cigar box bottoms and sides (good source of thin plywood) and if too thin then laminate it with hot glue ( screws going thru both pieces

Tonero311

I been using 4mm MDF. Stronger and heavier, but most of the planes I have built so far have been lacking when it comes to nose weight.