How to mount electronics on a boom fuse?

model3113

I have a CF arrow shaft on the way for building a nice and simple 1m 2ch glider, using the polyhedral wing from the Tiny Trainer. I have a mini rx, 2 5g servos, and a 1s battery with voltage booster. Trying to think up an elegant solution to mounting everything. Seems like the default is to hot glue everything to the boom and wrap with tape. Or, build a box from foam scrap. My years of tossing the Whipit leads me to believe that lawn darting is the default landing mode. :ROFLMAO:

So, I want something durable. I'm thinking like a small plastic bottle--actually some of the mini gift liquor bottles would be probably a good size, although it's a little awkward standing at the store going through the bins of them at the counter. :whistle:

Please, post options with pictures!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Servos, mount them into the tail and run extensions -- tails are almost always overbuilt anyways, and the weight of the servo all the way in the back is not much difference on weight and balance with a long pushrod.

If you're willing to cut holes in the shaft for wire pass-throughs, you can remove the connectors and run the wires down the shaft, then reassemble when the wire is run. Consider building up a 4-wire harness (Power/Ground/Rudder/Elevator). It's easy to do with a bit of ribbon cable if you've got some old dead PC parts available. you'll have to split off the wires on the tail-side so each servo can get it's own power, but if you feed the wire in from the tail side you'll only have to fish out a 4-connector wire out at the wing root.

Tape/velcro the RX and battery to the wing (if you use a pylon to mount the wing, the sides of that would be great, or just mount it on the top-root where they wont' get damaged), use a #8 bolt and washers in the arrow head receiver for setting the balance, and you're ready for a glide toss :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BTW . . . try the RX and servos *Without* the voltage booster -- you may be pleasantly surprised.

It'll depend on what gear you have, but many RXs and most 5v servos can run a lot lower than you'd expect. You probably won't get all the juice out of the 1S pack, but you'll likely get 50-70% of full charge from it . . . and a 2 channel airframe sips power.

flyboa

Elite member
I like using carbon flats glued to the carbon shaft. Can fit up to 4 servos. Battery and receiver fits on top.

Attachments

• 6FE3854C-01BF-4EAF-A7CF-EEC28374CD19.jpeg
    6FE3854C-01BF-4EAF-A7CF-EEC28374CD19.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 19E67F2E-974C-436B-BF1B-D636B840D8BE.jpeg
    19E67F2E-974C-436B-BF1B-D636B840D8BE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1