How to mount power pack c motor on explorer

Kvn_chn

Hey everyone, I’m new to rc airplanes and the flite test explorer is my first one. I am still building it but i am confused on how to mount the motor. I have the power pack c. Thanks!

Edit: i just went through the video again and found that after they mounted everything they showed how to do it with the power pack c. However, i am missing a part that i believe was supposed to come with the motor. As soon as i opens the box, i noticed there was a slot missing something but i didnt think it was important. Now i realize it is. I think I’m missing the prop collar.

Last edited:

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
If you have the new radial C-pack motor I'm not too sure. Your only option is to mount it like the B-pack instructions say in the build vid but follow the height recommendations portion for the C-pack and make sure you have prop clearance before gluing. The old 2215 motors in the C-packs could be mounted on both ends but not the new ones. The empty round spot in the package would normally be for the prop adaptor but the radial motors use a lock nut and the prop mounts directly onto the shaft so no special adaptor is needed. You should have an X mount base and a bag of mounting hardware in the package.

Kvn_chn

So i ended up mounting it like this (picture below), but now the props dont even screw onto it. I’m new to rc airplanes and stuff but I fly drones and the props usually screw into the motor. Am i doing something wrong? Also is the way i mounted it ok? Thanks :)
image.jpg

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
The props in the packs are a really snug fit on the shaft. I had to do a little scraping on one yesterday to get it to fit, just have to be careful not to scrape too much.

Kvn_chn

The props in the packs are a really snug fit on the shaft. I had to do a little scraping on one yesterday to get it to fit, just have to be careful not to scrape too much.
Wait now I’m a little confused. i thought the props would be screwed on and be nice and tight. Is that not right?

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
The nut holds the prop on and will secure it against the body of the motor. Albeit tight the prop just slides onto the shaft. If you have any 8 or 9 inch props for the drones you may think about or have to0 give one of them a trial fit. They have changed the prop sizes in the kits since that build video was made and the 10 inch ones in the current C-pack kit may not work on that plane. I can confirm that the 9 inch prop in the current B-packs will not work with the motor mount in the lower mounting position.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Wait now I’m a little confused. i thought the props would be screwed on and be nice and tight. Is that not right?
No, with that stile the prop slides on the shaft & held in place with a prop nut.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Oh that’s the propeller nut? I tried screwing it in and it only goes in a little bit. How would that hold the propeller?
I’ve had to add a few washers to get them to tighten or the hub of a broken prop

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
It's a nylock nut, you will have to use a 10mm wrench too finish tightening it. You will just have to do a trial fit with that prop and see how it goes. I do wish they would update the build vids for the planes that are affected by the parts changes in the packs.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you have the props with a build in nut, like on the Phantom, those will work also.
Provided it fits and th threads match.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Here is mine. Note the ends of the prop. I used a lathe with a pen vice and centering tool to secure the prop and my trusty stick with abrasive paper glued it to both balance and size it. That's a B-pack motor with the 9 inch prop supplied in the kit.
20200612_215958.jpg

Kvn_chn

Here is mine. Note the ends of the prop. I used a lathe with a pen vice and centering tool to secure the prop and my trusty stick with abrasive paper glued it to both balance and size it. That's a B-pack motor with the 9 inch prop supplied in the kit. View attachment 171784
Here is how i ended up mounting it. Also, the propeller is too large and hits the body. How do i trim it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
How do i trim it?
Use any suitable tool you have, nail clippers work well for smaller adjustments.
You should balance the prop after trimming. Depending on how much you need to trim, you may be better off using a smaller prop.

Kvn_chn

Use any suitable tool you have, nail clippers work well for smaller adjustments.
You should balance the prop after trimming. Depending on how much you need to trim, you may be better off using a smaller prop.
But the way i have mounted the prop on is ok right?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It looks right, the numbers on the prop should be facing the direction the plane is going to move. If the number facing where he plane has been, you will lose about 60% of the thrust.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Remove the extra spacers that are between the prop and motor (keeping only the correct size spacer in the prop itself), and tighten the nut completely against the prop. There should be threads from the shaft exposed beyond the nut.
IMG_20200613_174119350.jpg