Help! How to put together tiled plans properly?

Chelonian

I've been trying to build an FT Versa wing, but I have found it really hard to get the two wing halves to come out the same. I've tried a few times, and I'm getting rather tired of it not working out again and again.

So where do you tape the sheets of paper together? Right on the edge? Where the little dashed line is? I assume that it's the dashed line, but the problem with that is I can't see the dotted line on the sheet that is under the one I'm taping, making it difficult to line it up to say the least. Why don't the plans do all the way to the edge of the page? It seems like that would make it a LOT easier to put it together since you don't have to try and guess where the dashed line is.

I tried using a fish tank with a light inside shining up through the paper in hopes that it would make it so that I could see the lines, but it didn't work that well.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be really appreciated.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Most printers can't print all the way to the edge. Folks typically trim the edge of one sheet at the dotted line and then tape it to the next sheet, that way you don't need to see the lines beneath the page you are holding.

One additional trick that I use when doing the wings is I only print and tape one wing. This works for me because I use the pin method for cutting the foam (put the paper plan on the foamboard, push a tack through the corners to keep it in place and then use a pin to punch holes to mark out the wing on the foam. Remove the paper plan and then use a blade to cut from hole to hole (like dot-to-dot) - use a straight edge for long runs and free hand the curves. For wings, this means that once I have one done, I just flip it over so the printed side is down and follow the holes that I made for the first wing half. This gives a mirror image of the wing and saves me taping up the second wing plan. Also, I keep these so that I can use them on rebuilds.

DamoRC

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
So where do you tape the sheets of paper together?
The circle with the cross in each corner needs to superimpose over the same on the next tile.
If you continue to have left right symmetry problems try cutting the left and right at the same time as mirrors of each other.

Chelonian

The circle with the cross in each corner needs to superimpose over the same on the next tile.
If you continue to have left right symmetry problems try cutting the left and right at the same time as mirrors of each other.
The Versa wing plans don't have the circles. They would make it easier if they were there though.

Chelonian

Most printers can't print all the way to the edge. Folks typically trim the edge of one sheet at the dotted line and then tape it to the next sheet, that way you don't need to see the lines beneath the page you are holding.

One additional trick that I use when doing the wings is I only print and tape one wing. This works for me because I use the pin method for cutting the foam (put the paper plan on the foamboard, push a tack through the corners to keep it in place and then use a pin to punch holes to mark out the wing on the foam. Remove the paper plan and then use a blade to cut from hole to hole (like dot-to-dot) - use a straight edge for long runs and free hand the curves. For wings, this means that once I have one done, I just flip it over so the printed side is down and follow the holes that I made for the first wing half. This gives a mirror image of the wing and saves me taping up the second wing plan. Also, I keep these so that I can use them on rebuilds.

DamoRC
Good Ideas, thanks!

donalson

Weird! We must have downloaded it from different sources? I have the 8.5x11 tiled plans for the versa and they have the circles.

when looking to print look between the original FT page and sponz build plan page @ https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/ sponz will usually have the most up to date plan version...

I also believe there is a way of printing from adobe using the full size and having adobe itself giving marker references all while keeping the proper scale... I need to play with that still.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I still use the full size plans and when I print them out tiled from my PC, (I do sometimes just pay the local print shop to print them for me full size), I use the alignment corners provided for in the tiled print function by acrobat.

Aligning them is simple I just stick a pin through the corner on one page and push the smae pin through the matching corner on the next sheet, (a noticeboard is good for this). When all of the pages are aligned and pinned in place I just drag out the packing tape and tape them all together. Assmebly takes as little as 5 minutes once practiced!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I've been trying to build an FT Versa wing, but I have found it really hard to get the two wing halves to come out the same. I've tried a few times, and I'm getting rather tired of it not working out again and again.

So where do you tape the sheets of paper together? Right on the edge? Where the little dashed line is? I assume that it's the dashed line, but the problem with that is I can't see the dotted line on the sheet that is under the one I'm taping, making it difficult to line it up to say the least. Why don't the plans do all the way to the edge of the page? It seems like that would make it a LOT easier to put it together since you don't have to try and guess where the dashed line is.

I tried using a fish tank with a light inside shining up through the paper in hopes that it would make it so that I could see the lines, but it didn't work that well.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be really appreciated.
Just a little heads up to help in getting the 2 wings to be the exact same size.

Use the plan supplied for one of the wings ONLY. Place it on the FB and using a pin poke through the wing plan to leave little holes in the FB. Remove the plan and then play join the dots and of course cut out and prepare the wing for building.

Now using the same wing plan place it on the FB printed side down! Now poke through all of the existing holes to leave little holes in the Fb underneath. Remove the plan and play a mirror image version of join the dots. Just cut out and prepare the wing for building.

As long as the plan was held firmly in place on the FB during the above process you will end up with 2 exactly the same sized pieces which are mirror images of each other. It is easier to get matching wings if you start out with matching sized pieces!

have fun!

I always use the full size plans and not the tiled ones. Load it into adobe reader and let it do the tile work, you can add the cut marks in the print settings. I do suggest buying one of these type cutters for trimming an edge straight. When I built my versa I used the method Hai-lee suggested by using one plan and flipping it over, its more accurate and quicker to make only one template.

donalson

I always use the full size plans and not the tiled ones. Load it into adobe reader and let it do the tile work, you can add the cut marks in the print settings. I do suggest buying one of these type cutters for trimming an edge straight. When I built my versa I used the method Hai-lee suggested by using one plan and flipping it over, its more accurate and quicker to make only one template.

because I transfer plans to poster-board I always put together both wings... and then end up using which ever comes out cleaner for transferring to foamboard

because I transfer plans to poster-board I always put together both wings... and then end up using which ever comes out cleaner for transferring to foamboard

I use a similar method, I print onto heavy cardstock, glue them together then cut them out. I use that as a template to trace onto the foamboard. Not as sturdy as the posterboard, but works good if you are careful.

donalson

I use a similar method, I print onto heavy cardstock, glue them together then cut them out. I use that as a template to trace onto the foamboard. Not as sturdy as the posterboard, but works good if you are careful.

that is what sponz suggests... the last plans I printed I ended up forgoing the home printing and had industrial prints done on a plotter at staples... $15 for 3 planes... used inkscape to get it all to fit just right on whatever size I used... the simple soarer minus wings, ft explorer (used explorer wing for the soarer), and the bronco (uses the nose section of the explore)... I don't see myself printing at home again honestly...