How to quickly resize pictures before uploading

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I use a program for Android called Photo & Picture Resizer

It works well with the occasional ad. My pics are generally 5-6MB when taken...and I can set what size to bring the picture down to. For the forums I try to keep em at 200-300KB.

I have 1 issue with posting pics on the forum and it is my stubbornness that I am not sure if I will ever get around. I love the speediness of what these little mini computers aka smartphones can do. Take some pictures, resize them, shoot video, get on the internet, call up someone, etc. BUT, I hate typing on the forums using my smartphone. I grew up in the early days or personal computers and the internet. And I prefer typing my long, boring, and sometimes funny forum posts on a computer. So I'm kinda torn where I take and edit pics with my smartphone, transfer those pics to my temporary cloud storage, so I can type the message and post the pics on a computer. I know...it's weird! :confused::oops:

I use the same app, and have the same frustration at typing and organizing a post on the smart phone. One thing that helps is the "voice to text" feature on the Google Virtual Keyboard - that can get a bunch of words in place, but sometimes leaves "word salad" that needs to be cleaned up. The other handy thing is with the new forum software we have, it's possible to upload pictures and start text in a draft post, and then with just a preview move over to a computer and see that same draft post for editing!

Bricks

Master member
Need to keep bringing this up as many are getting better about resizing pics, much better going thru the forums when you do not have to wait for pictures which many times I will not do.

basslord1124

Master member
The other handy thing is with the new forum software we have, it's possible to upload pictures and start text in a draft post, and then with just a preview move over to a computer and see that same draft post for editing!

Ah...I may have to check that feature out. I have before, started a post on my phone and then edited it on a PC.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I guess I'm oldschool. I do everything on my computer except take the picture, which I transfer from my phone to my computer, via usb. I don't think it's the method that matters, so much as the end result: pictures that everyone can view. :)

TooJung2Die

Master member
I do everything on my computer except take the picture, which I transfer from my phone to my computer, via usb.
Me too. The phone screen is too small to see the image properly.
I like Irfanview. Been using it for many years and it's free. It is set as the default image viewer on all my PC's. It is pretty powerful and easy to use. It quickly custom crops and resizes all the images I upload here to 1024x768. It'll even change the file size in kB to whatever you want without changing the image size if there is a file size limit on a forum.

Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

I used Irfanview to crop the windows out of a screen shot and add the red highlights above. You can insert text using system fonts in any color and size too. Great little free program.
Jon

Last edited: