how to safe a lipo for disposal

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
On my last set of batteries i bought they described how to safe a battery so you could throw them out.
The described using a bucket of water that is saturated with salt then putting the batteries into the water till there is 0 voltage.
Does anyone have any other way they do this?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can leave a battery plugged in to a VRx for a few days. It wasn't on purpose but it certainly worked really well to bring that pack to 0v!

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
On my last set of batteries i bought they described how to safe a battery so you could throw them out.
The described using a bucket of water that is saturated with salt then putting the batteries into the water till there is 0 voltage.

That's a good and safe way to do it...it's a solid suggestion...

Sirguiome

Safe Lipo battery disposal? D

That's a good and safe way to do it...it's a solid suggestion...

Hi i have questions about this as well
I crashed and my battery was burning, just one cell i think
I put the battery in water overnight
How do in make sure the battery voltage is zero in all cells
What is a VRx? Is it safe to plug the dammaged battery into a charger to dishcharge it?
How do i dispose of it when it is discharged?

andybenton

NERD!!!! :)

the last time I tried this it failed. I was getting a reading of 0v until I scraped at the deans plug a bit... the salt water had merely corroded the plug to the point of being unable to make an electrical connection. it spent three days and nights (72 hours) in the salt water and was still reading 7v from a three cell.

im currently trying to find a better way, as I don't trust this method anymore. heres a link to a lot of good information on the subject, some simple calculations, and good ideas... http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos/lipo-disposal

im working on a bulb based discharging circuit and I keep my buck of sand nearby :)

ive used in the past a simple esc with the lvc turned off, a small brushless motor, a prop and a servo tester.

I made a stand to hold the motor. burry the battery in sand, then plug them in and use the servo tester to run the motor until it cant run any longer... this worked ok, but at some point, the motor wouldn't be able to spin anymore, and the battery still showed some voltage while not under the load of the motor.

so long story short, do what ever makes you feel safe, but do your research and make an informed decision

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hi i have questions about this as well
I crashed and my battery was burning, just one cell i think
I put the battery in water overnight
How do in make sure the battery voltage is zero in all cells
What is a VRx? Is it safe to plug the dammaged battery into a charger to dishcharge it?
How do i dispose of it when it is discharged?
Vrx is a video receiver. It's just a shorthand way of saying it. Basically I forgot to unplug the battery from mine and it went completely dead. Should be a safe way to do it since the draw is low and should be safe on the battery to make it dead.

the last time I tried this it failed. I was getting a reading of 0v until I scraped at the deans plug a bit... the salt water had merely corroded the plug to the point of being unable to make an electrical connection. it spent three days and nights (72 hours) in the salt water and was still reading 7v from a three cell.

I wish everyone would read this. I'm on a crusade to dispel the myth of "salt water lipo disposal". A taillight bulb discharge circuit is easy to make and foolproof.