How to setup Trainer/Student mode/ buddy box?

bracesport

Legendary member
if it is not working it is probably the cable - 2x FS-i6 machines will talk to each other very well - what kind of plug do they use for the trainer port? If it is a mini Din the ground will be on the shell of the Din and then we just need to identify the signal Pin - I built my own from an S-video plug.

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.23.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.24.27 AM.png

NewFlyGuy2020

Yes, I used a "S-video" cable and rewired and checked for signal.. I believe the cable is good. I have #2 FS-i6x transmitters and have hooked them up. Upon setting them up how I believe they should be, the "student" controls the plane when the switch (on the "trainer" is activated).. BUT I imagined the "trainer" would be able to take control simply by moving the sticks to correct flight errors... however the only way the "trainer" regains control is by flipping the switch to turn OFF the buddy-mode...

Is this "just how it is"???

Clear as mud?...

bracesport

Legendary member
@NewFlyGuy2020 - hi there - yes unless in the trainer setting there is an option for both trainer and student to be live at the same time - on my OpenTX Rx I have that option (both live or trainer only) - alternatively, if the i6x has a momentary switch or button you can switch trainer on and off more quickly.

2jujube7

I'm building my own buddy box cable to teach my dad how to fly, and I just bought an S video cable off of Amazon. There were only 4 wires (1 for each pin), so i'm going to have to tear it apart further to add the common ground wire between the outside ring. I switched pins 1 and 2 already, and i'm curious if I have to take out pins 3 and 4. My understanding is that those are the power and ground for the master Tx to power the slave, is that correct?

NewFlyGuy2020

I'm building my own buddy box cable to teach my dad how to fly, and I just bought an S video cable off of Amazon. There were only 4 wires (1 for each pin), so i'm going to have to tear it apart further to add the common ground wire between the outside ring. I switched pins 1 and 2 already, and i'm curious if I have to take out pins 3 and 4. My understanding is that those are the power and ground for the master Tx to power the slave, is that correct?

Mine also only had 4 wires, but when I check for continuity between each ground sleeve, it was continuous. May check before adding a wire.

I left 3 & 4 alone, it didn’t seem to impact anything and from my research, those aren’t used in the buddy box application.

2jujube7

I left 3 & 4 alone, it didn’t seem to impact anything and from my research, those aren’t used in the buddy box application.

Alright, thanks. I soldered mine up and tested it, and it works! I have 5 wires hooked up (4 pins and then the ground sleeve). Just have to get a trainer to fly with my friends... Oh, and here's the link for the S video cable I used on amazon: link

I bought an E-flite cord thinking that it should work. It did not. Fortunately it did not fry my radios either. I did however have an old S-video cable laying around and just finished modify it according to the diagram above. I also did not reconnect the other two wires(3,4) just to be able to shrink wrap everything. It works perfectly. I did discover the ground wire is an absolute must. It did not work at all without the ground wire. Also, fortunately there is a pretty good gap on the ring for the radio and I was able to solder straight to the outside. Attached are some pictures. Another thing I noticed, the student radio didn't seem to matter is if was in student mode. The radio that is bound to the plane has to be the one in trainer mode!!

Attachments

• 20201224_183311.jpg
    20201224_183311.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201224_183331.jpg
    20201224_183331.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201224_183400.jpg
    20201224_183400.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201224_183502.jpg
    20201224_183502.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201224_183607.jpg
    20201224_183607.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 0

2jujube7

Another thing I noticed, the student radio didn't seem to matter is if was in student mode. The radio that is bound to the plane has to be the one in trainer mode!!

Not 100% sure, but I think that student mode carries over trim/mixes settings. However, you might need the other 2 wires to do that.

Foamforce

Not 100% sure, but I think that student mode carries over trim/mixes settings. However, you might need the other 2 wires to do that.

Today I was playing with this and found out that the trim settings do carry over, but if the student radio has trims too, then those are applied on top of the trims from the trainer radio. So what worked well was to switch the student radio to a new blank model profile.

Also, I bought my training cable from HobbyKing for $6.99.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/oranger...-for-tx6i-tx10i-fs-i6-fs-t6-transmitters.html

Lastly, I wanted to mention that I get some erratic behavior from the radios in training mode sometimes. The servos will sometimes act very jumpy and won’t move smoothly. Kind of like if it were getting bad reception. Turning the radio off and then back on again seems to cure it. I’d be interested to know if anybody else has experienced that.

PS, I know this is two years old, but I wanted to post for other people looking for this. There‘s hardly any information on the internet about FlySky training mode.

stelikanna

If pins 3 and 4 are not connected, the slave device will not be able to communicate with the master device( You will need to connect the slave device to the master device using a different communication protocol, such as SPI or UART.

stelikanna

Today I was playing with this and found out that the trim settings do carry over, but if the student radio has trims too, then those are applied on top of the trims from the trainer radio. So what worked well was to switch the student radio to a new blank model profile.

Also, I bought my training cable from HobbyKing for $6.99.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/oranger...-for-tx6i-tx10i-fs-i6-fs-t6-transmitters.html

Lastly, I wanted to mention that I get some erratic behavior from the radios in training mode sometimes. The servos will sometimes act very jumpy and won’t move smoothly. Kind of like if it were getting bad reception. Turning the radio off and then back on again seems to cure it. I’d be interested to know if anybody else has experienced that.

PS, I know this is two years old, but I wanted to post for other people looking for this. There‘s hardly any information on the internet about FlySky training mode. https://edubirdie.com/top-writers has top writers with big experience.
The trim settings do not carry over from the trainer radio. Each radio has its own trim settings. The only way to get the same trim settings on both radios is to manually trim them both.

Also, as I know, the training cable from HobbyKing is not compatible with FlySky radios. The correct training cable for FlySky radios is the FS-Sim cable.

What you has been experiencing is likely due to interference. To reduce interference, try moving the radios away from other electronic devices and metal objects or using different frequencies.

If you want to know how I do, I usually start with the student radio in idle mode, and switch the trainer radio to master mode.

Foamforce

The trim settings do not carry over from the trainer radio. Each radio has its own trim settings. The only way to get the same trim settings on both radios is to manually trim them both.

Also, as I know, the training cable from HobbyKing is not compatible with FlySky radios. The correct training cable for FlySky radios is the FS-Sim cable.

What you has been experiencing is likely due to interference. To reduce interference, try moving the radios away from other electronic devices and metal objects or using different frequencies.

If you want to know how I do, I usually start with the student radio in idle mode, and switch the trainer radio to master mode.
This is an older post, but I wanted to correct a few things you said for posterity.

The behavior of trims carrying over from Trainer to Trainer differs between the FS-I6 and the FS-I6X. I believe it was on the I6 that it doesn’t carry over and on the I6X it does. It’s possible that I have that backwards now since I’m not using those radios much anymore, but their behavior is different.

The link to the HobbyKing cable in my post is the correct cable. I used it and it works. It’s just an s-video cable with crossover on the rx-tx lines.

I’m still not sure was the jitteriness was, but I don’t believe it was interference because this was using a cable and because it’s the same at the field and in my house.