Help! How to Tow Release, install and operation!

Okay, either I'm blind or no one has made a video on how to install and operate the tow release that comes with the "Josh Battery Hold Down Stretcher". (From Peter during the Guinea Pig build). I copied a pic showing it with a servo on the mount. Somehow it.... to be honest... looks funny. Anyone have some good LATCHED and RELEASE photos?o_O

Here is the pic.
ft-explorer-build-8-jpg_1444935498.jpg

I'm curious as to how this works. Reason is... I'd like to use it to control release loads from the back of my cargo plane/s.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Okay, string or rubber band goes underneath the wire attached to the servo, which catches on the plywood keeping it from coming off. The servo is then moved via switch on the transmitter and the string/rubber band pops off. Hope this helps you.

For a cargo plane look at how the guinea pig is set up. It uses a single servo to open an entire door through which whatever you’re dropping falls.
Um... that was the original idea since I just finished these babies!
MomAndChild.jpg

But what I was looking to do with the extra 6th servo that comes with the Power Pack was build a release to more accurately drop parachute loads like we did from Herc's in the Army. I found a cargo release (hard point for bomb drops) $60. Ah, no. The main reason other than "Fun" getting back into flying was the DTFB price and crashing isn't the worst thing. Just a delay, and reason to hone my building skills. Thank you for your information. I don't know why the tow release looked so odd to me.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Okay, I’ll do just that, I too have had a fascination with dropping things. I put a servo on the side of my bloody baron fuselage which releases a rubber band, attached on the other side of the fuse, at the push of a button, dropping pretty much anything small enough to fit. I’ve dropped several small gliders which caught thermals and I never saw again. One of them I found a couple months ago ( 5-6 months after I dropped it) only few hundred yards in the opposite direction I watched it disappear in. Fun times!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I haven't done this yet, but I have thought about it some. One Idea was to make a little conveyor belt to eject some paratroopers in a rhythmic manner i envisioned a small motor to drive the belt.

The easier way would be to make something like a rifle magazine. With the door open, the troopers could slide out when you pitch up.

I haven't done this yet, but I have thought about it some. One Idea was to make a little conveyor belt to eject some paratroopers in a rhythmic manner i envisioned a small motor to drive the belt.

The easier way would be to make something like a rifle magazine. With the door open, the troopers could slide out when you pitch up.
An old friend reminded me from our time at Fort Bragg (Headquarters of Paratroops/101st and 82nd Airborne) Now Joint Base Bragg/Pope, that we... yeah we... never came out in a cool order. He had a wild suggestion that kind of made sense. A rod made of servo wire with a small "L" on the end at the door. On the other end another "L" with the bent part strapped to the arm of a servo. Hook the paratroopers onto the long rod. Then flip the "L" upwards. Over the "Drop Zone" open the cargo door, then flip the "L" down. It's an idea I think can be refined.