How To Turn a 3D Model into a Plan

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
I am wanting to make a airplane. There are no plans that I can find for it. So I made a 3D model of the plane. How do I turn that 3D model into a 2D plan? Thanks!!!

Johan

I am using Blender. Free and open source. Easy to use.

+1 for blender, I used it to model my Batbone:

BlenderBatbone.jpg

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
Sweet! Usually when I say Blender people look at each other and scratch their heads. Nice to know someone else here uses it!

Johan

I think you could use the Top, Right, Front views to generate plans.
The challenge is to get the correct measurements on the elements.

When I started modeling, I forgot to scale to the right dimensions, but for me it did not matter (Since the actual batbone frame and components dictated those).

I just used this 3D model to have a virtual version of my batbone to fly in the heli simulator I use (heli-x).

But I guess getting the scale right can be done afterwards..

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
I think you could use the Top, Right, Front views to generate plans.
The challenge is to get the correct measurements on the elements.

When I started modeling, I forgot to scale to the right dimensions, but for me it did not matter (Since the actual batbone frame and components dictated those).

I just used this 3D model to have a virtual version of my batbone to fly in the heli simulator I use (heli-x).

But I guess getting the scale right can be done afterwards..

How did you get the .blend into a sim? I have always wanted to do that.

Johan

How did you get the .blend into a sim? I have always wanted to do that.

Ah, maybe I'm lucky with the sim I use (http://heli-x.net) , If I export to an .obj file and fiddle with parameters in an xml file (copied from an existing model and adapted to match rotor positions, weight etc.) I can make it fly.
In fact I just spent some time updating my model (added LED strips and refined the batbone shape):

Batbone2.jpg

I've tried to look at Phoenix RC, but that is impossible, they use their own (binary) model format.
I've heard that if you request a model they are willing to look into it.
Maybe it helps if you already have it in a popular export format (.obj, .stl, etc)

FMS and desk pilot RC also have a different format, not binary, but also not easily converted as far as I can see.

The others (RealFlight / aerofly) I cannot try, because I don not own them....

Last edited: