how useful is a scroll saw

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've had several scroll saws over the years. Hated every one of them. The noise, vibration, snapped blades etc. etc. I gave my last Ryobi saw with lots of blade attachment upgrades to my daughter to use for her craft work. She hated it too and sold it. My most used saw is the tiny "Mighty Mite" saw from Harbor Freight. I've 3D printed some guides for it. Next to that is my Porter Cable band saw. If I need to make inside cuts that I would normally use a scroll saw for I now use a coping saw instead. A fraction of the price of a scroll saw and it makes much nicer cuts.

Joe

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
I have an old Craftsman 1970`s era with a built in sander on the side would not be without especially for cutting out servo holes quick easy For thicker stuff I will use my band saw but would rather use my scroll saw when ever I can.

I've had several scroll saws over the years. Hated every one of them. The noise, vibration, snapped blades etc. etc. I gave my last Ryobi saw with lots of blade attachment upgrades to my daughter to use for her craft work. She hated it too and sold it. My most used saw is the tiny "Mighty Mite" saw from Harbor Freight. I've 3D printed some guides for it. Next to that is my Porter Cable band saw. If I need to make inside cuts that I would normally use a scroll saw for I now use a coping saw instead. A fraction of the price of a scroll saw and it makes much nicer cuts.

Joe
scroll saw is much needed machine for this purpose. you must not have gotten the right one for you. there are a lot of apt scroll saws available for this purpose. there is just need to explore.

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
scroll saw is much needed machine for this purpose. you must not have gotten the right one for you. there are a lot of apt scroll saws available for this purpose. there is just need to explore.

"Exploration" cost big money when talking buying saws. Thanks to my 3D printer now if I need a part with a hole inside it like servo plates, formers etc. I just 3D print it. No more sawing. ;)

Joe

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Hmm, my Ryobi Scroll saw works great and I still have the original blade. I also have a vacuum hooked to it so no dust. But, I don't scratch build and just use it to build a former or make parts for electric conversions so it doesn't get a whole lot of use. I just can't get into the 3d printer thing as it is expensive and looks to take a lot of time to set up and get working right, but they do seem to be the way to make parts for sure...if you have the time... I also use a small band saw, drill press, hacksaw, jigsaw, coping saw and micro saw blades to get the job done.

Turbojoe

Elite member
If a moron like me can do 3D printing then anyone can. I use TinkerCad exclusively and it works for 99% of what I need. 3D printers like the Ender 3 are well under $200. You really don't need the PRO or V2 version. Just with the things I've made for myself the Ender 3 has paid for itself 20 times over. It's my daughters though and I hope she never takes it from me......

Joe