Howdy

Larry Grimes

Hi from an old retired guy. I spent almost 50 years working on and flying aircraft. I've found that the RC hobby is something that I would like to look into. I'm new to the sport except for RC boats a few years back. Haven't done anything recently though. My Son bought me a Convergence RC , but I'm afraid to fly it. I think it is too advanced for my skill level. I need to try something a lot easier to fly.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
You made a good choice not flying the Convergence yet, I would personally start off with the tiny trainer as 3 channel then 4 before you fly the convergence. I would also buy a cheap $15 quad copter to get used to how a multi-rotor flies since the convergence flies like both. After you get both down I would then try to fly the convergence.

I hope this helps, and this is just my .02, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: THIS quad copter is very durable and easy to fly, and is what I learned on.

Larry Grimes

You made a good choice not flying the Convergence yet, I would personally start off with the tiny trainer as 3 channel then 4 before you fly the convergence. I would also buy a cheap $15 quad copter to get used to how a multi-rotor flies since the convergence flies like both. After you get both down I would then try to fly the convergence.

I hope this helps, and this is just my .02, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: THIS quad copter is very durable and easy to fly, and is what I learned on.
Thanks for the info foamtest. I watched my Son fly the Convergence and I was quite sure it was more than I could handle at my skill level. I might build the TT and/or the Old Fogy before advancing to more advanced models.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
That sounds like a great option, if possible I would try and see if you could buddy box with your son for the first few flights. Mainly just to help minimize repair time because we all crashed on our first few flights, and we all continue to crash, no matter how advanced you are in this hobby.