Would you build this thing?

• Total voters

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I talked privately with Jetcrafter_2000 and decided to build one of my own as part of our project to make one that works for FPV.
As he said his design is best for simplicity and scale stuff but if you put it in front of a FPV camera it will be blurry and not work because they have a minimum distance at which something is in focus (in fact his design works more like an holographic sight )

I went and built a prototype which is pretty much exactly a reflector sight/HUD
The image is generated by either a screen or illuminated shape (shining a LED through a window of the desired shape will work), then it goes through a lens end then a screen oriented 45° to the user. The screen reflects the image that is supposed to be focused at "infinity", this means that if you look far away the image on the screen will be in focus but well, the article explains it much better than I do.

DSC_8390.JPG
DSC_8396.JPG

Now, the building instruction!

DSC_8397.JPG

That's it, not very complicated and rather easy to make and shouldn't be hard to adapt for FPV use (more fun that using a OSD, especially when using a pan&tilt camera)

Mine isn't perfect yet, as you can see it doesn't focus into infinity but I will have to do some more testing.

However it won't win many points for scale stuff as seen from outside a model because the image can only be seen from one side of the glass, anyways it is pretty easy to make so go build one now! Took me longer to write this than to build my prototype :p

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I talked privately with Jetcrafter_2000 and decided to build one of my own as part of our project to make one that works for FPV.
As he said his design is best for simplicity and scale stuff but if you put it in front of a FPV camera it will be blurry and not work because they have a minimum distance at which something is in focus (in fact his design works more like an holographic sight )

I went and built a prototype which is pretty much exactly a reflector sight/HUD
The image is generated by either a screen or illuminated shape (shining a LED through a window of the desired shape will work), then it goes through a lens end then a screen oriented 45° to the user. The screen reflects the image that is supposed to be focused at "infinity", this means that if you look far away the image on the screen will be in focus but well, the article explains it much better than I do.

View attachment 102280
View attachment 102281

Now, the building instruction!

View attachment 102282

That's it, not very complicated and rather easy to make and shouldn't be hard to adapt for FPV use (more fun that using a OSD, especially when using a pan&tilt camera)

Mine isn't perfect yet, as you can see it doesn't focus into infinity but I will have to do some more testing.

However it won't win many points for scale stuff as seen from outside a model because the image can only be seen from one side of the glass, anyways it is pretty easy to make so go build one now! Took me longer to write this than to build my prototype :p

ooohh fancy. yes just like a red dot sight.