Hughes P21-J MKIII Devastator - Swappable

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Exactly what I was thinking
If you make the canard a full flying surface then your going to maintain a lot of controls.

And going to the 39.75 in span would be a good idea it wound make it a good size plane at that

I'll keep the flying canard in reserve. If the larger surfaces don't work out I'll come up with something. It would certainly look cool.

dutchmonkey

Thought about it. Dunno that it can be done simply and reliably with foam board. I'm gonna give the larger surfaces a shot. After a bunch of canard researching I discovered that my control surfaces were below average in relative size. I think once they're a bit bigger it'll just work without the full flying canard.

Made me remember another added benefit of the 40" wingspan. Should let me setup the dual rudders without a bunch of effort, and I'll be able to fit all the servos inside the wings. It'l make the build a lot cleaner.

At first I thought 40" would be too big, but it's the same wingspan as the FT Racer and is quite a bit smaller than the Guinea, Storch, Cruiser, and Bushwacker.

i did a full flying stab on my thermic50x glider and have had no issues with it it was tricky to build but worth it. i used some cheap cutting board to stiffen up the pivot point in the fin and used BBQ skewers for the pivot points. have a look http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?19074-foam-thermic-50x&highlight=thermic if you do a build like nerdnic does on the tail feathers basically folded over and glues together it should help stiffen up the canards.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
i did a full flying stab on my thermic50x glider and have had no issues with it it was tricky to build but worth it. i used some cheap cutting board to stiffen up the pivot point in the fin and used BBQ skewers for the pivot points. have a look http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?19074-foam-thermic-50x&highlight=thermic if you do a build like nerdnic does on the tail feathers basically folded over and glues together it should help stiffen up the canards.

Sweet. That's a simple way to get the job done. I was making things way more complicated in my head.

planebreaker2000

Great job. It really looks different from the usual bi plane and /or canard. The 39.5" wingspan does sound good.

Sign me up for beta plans.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Great job. It really looks different from the usual bi plane and /or canard. The 39.5" wingspan does sound good.

Sign me up for beta plans.

Thanks man. If I can get some more spray adhesive, or an alternative I'm hoping to have beta plans up soon. I just want to make sure the upscaled plans all fit together right.

Working on the lower wing. Unfortunately I ran out of spray adhesive. I need to get some more or find an alternative. I've noticed on some of my micro planes that If I leave a plane in a hot car (bad idea anyway) the glue starts to give way.

I'm thinking about coating this version entirely in clear packing tape as a weight test and for additional strength.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Nice! That definitely seems a lot easier than packing tape.

Yup. I tried making curved lines with colored packing tape once. Didn't end well.

I coated the top side of this wing with clear packing tape, and I think I made it too heavy. Couldn't find my lightweight stuff and used a HD roll just to see what would happen.

Make all cuts and beverls per standard flitetest procedure. Remove foam from the spar pockets.

Glue in spar and servo.

Fold wing over the spar in typical flitetest fashion then cut an angled slot out of the spar where the wing bend is.

Apply glue to the leading edge bevel and to the spar only. Trailing edge will come after.

Apply glue to all the surfaces inside the wing split and then fold the wingtip up.

After the wingtip crease dries, apply a bead of glue to the bend line and smear it smooth.

Now you can apply glue to the trailing edge and complete the wing.

Tape made this thing heavy!

Without the tape, one of these wing halves with the original heavy adams paper weighs 66 grams.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Just thought I'd mention that this project isn't dead. I just got too busy during apple harvest to finish up and ran into some decal issues on the more complex curves.

Just received a bunch of different types of glues to test out for keeping decals on the foam in hot weather and after things have been bent sharply.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Still waiting patiently for this one... :D

Yeah, I keep changing things trying to get an easy to build rounded fuselage that's strong enough to take landing forces along with battery weight. I think it can be done, but it's become more complicated than originally intended. Advances in my other builds keep pushing me to try new things for this, but it's probably going too slowly.

Maybe I'll just finish off the formers and canopy for the more angular version. It should still look good enough. I can come out with a fancier revision later. I need to restock on foam board, which I'm going to try and do tomorrow. If I get the PBY done this shouldn't take much more than a week to build and finish beta plans.

dutch student

just ran in to this..
i have build the devastator last year, maidend it last year..
testing cg and adjusting this year.

i have build it exact like the game tells you to.
it shows diagrams of the aircraft. i took these, converted to autocad, printed.
even my angles in the wings are exactly the same as in the game.

i didn't change anything. only the fuselage, i also made it square, not round.

my moving parts are the canard. about 30 degrees deflection on the control surface.
and the upper wing, the inner large surface. 30 degree elevator, and 30 degree aileron.
no controleble surface in the lower wing.
engine is an 50 gram 2200 kv. 6x4 prop. 1300 mah 3s battery.
cg is shortly on the leading edge of the upper wing. but, again, i used all of the original measurements..
cg changes with changes in proportions.

o, i didn't use an airfoil. just 6 mm depron, 25 grams glasfiber, and some carbon roving.
fuselage is just depron. total weight, including battery etc is 550 gram.
largest wing is 60 cm span.
thing flys better then i could hope for!

little rocket.
flys great. really slow.. and extremely fast when the throttle is used.
i only throw the thing, i didnt build an landing gear.
it just hits the ground on the vertical stabs, and slides.

point to wacht out for, we are used to see the elevator point upwarts when nose up is applied.
this doesnt work for the canard. surface most point down to get the nose up.

hope to see more of youre plane!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
just ran in to this..
i have build the devastator last year, maidend it last year..
testing cg and adjusting this year.

i have build it exact like the game tells you to.
it shows diagrams of the aircraft. i took these, converted to autocad, printed.
even my angles in the wings are exactly the same as in the game.

i didn't change anything. only the fuselage, i also made it square, not round.

my moving parts are the canard. about 30 degrees deflection on the control surface.
and the upper wing, the inner large surface. 30 degree elevator, and 30 degree aileron.
no controleble surface in the lower wing.
engine is an 50 gram 2200 kv. 6x4 prop. 1300 mah 3s battery.
cg is shortly on the leading edge of the upper wing. but, again, i used all of the original measurements..
cg changes with changes in proportions.

o, i didn't use an airfoil. just 6 mm depron, 25 grams glasfiber, and some carbon roving.
fuselage is just depron. total weight, including battery etc is 550 gram.
largest wing is 60 cm span.
thing flys better then i could hope for!

little rocket.
flys great. really slow.. and extremely fast when the throttle is used.
i only throw the thing, i didnt build an landing gear.
it just hits the ground on the vertical stabs, and slides.

point to wacht out for, we are used to see the elevator point upwarts when nose up is applied.
this doesnt work for the canard. surface most point down to get the nose up.

hope to see more of youre plane!

Cool. Got any pictures or video? Didn't know anyone else had actually gotten one of these in the air. It would be awesome to see yours.

I used the wire outlines from the game to draw my set of plans originally as well. Quite handy to have available. :D

You try inverted flight with yours? Inverted flight was an issue with one of my prototypes, and I've been curious if it was a result of my airfoil or just the funky bent wings and canard setup.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I don't have facebook so I couldn't see this. Borrowed someones account and took a look. Guess I better finish this thing before the mob comes after me with pitchforks. ;)

I'm doing everything in my power to motivate you! :p

Jedi mind trick next...

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I'm doing everything in my power to motivate you! :p

Jedi mind trick next...

Heh, if you've got Jedi mind powers use them to get someone to send me a laser cutter. I'd have every single one of the Crimson Skies planes done by now. :cool:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
ohhh man, if I had a laser...
and a CNC...
and a 3D printer...