Hughes P21-J MKIII Devastator - Swappable

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This is one of my favorite airplanes of all time. Been wrestling with the design for a long while, and after working on a project with Sponz I got inspired to get back on it.

Finally ready for a prototype build. I may have enough foam for this weekend.

The first commercial design from the then-fledgling Hughes Aviation firm. the Devastator was widely derided as too radical by skeptics; one review call the Devastator "the product of a fevered imagination". The tailless fuselage and pusher prop were considered too experimental, and many predicted that Hughes first effort would quite literally crash and burn. To Hughes’ delight (and the pundits’ chagrin) the Devastator outperformed every other combat aircraft in the skies, in speed, armament and maneuverability.

Specs:

Engine: Tornado G450
HP: 1468
Top Speed: 251MPH
Weight: 3500lbs
Load Capacity: 10100lbs

Weaponry:
4 Machine Gun Mounts - .70 Cal Bruin Armaments Goliath Capable
8 External ordinance points for Rockets, bombs, or fuel tanks

................................................................................................................................

Oh wait, if only.

Planned Specs:

29.5" Wingspan
22" Long
Power Pack C Equivalent
2200mah Battery

Should have a wing loading just slightly greater than the Baby Blender. Got to weigh everything once it's cut. Planning on quad elevons, but if it won't fly that way, I may need to add an elevator to the front canard and switch to ailerons. Have the option for flaps if needed as well.

It'l be getting landing gear, though a zeppelin hook is in the works. I guess I need a zeppelin now too.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I have been waiting for this since I started flying RC! I'd attributed Crimson Skies to one of the reasons I LOVE aviation.

jamboree1

Sweet looking plane. Is that all the parts there is shown? It will be most interesting to see how you work out the COG, I'm betting on a big fat battery all the way forward

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
oh boy, a canard!!!!!

Yeah. We'll see what happens. ;) Was kinda hoping flitetest would release the shinden before I continued working on this, but doesn't look like that will be any time soon.

Nice work! What software did you use for the design process?

I'm using a program called DoubleCad XT. It's a free clone of AutoCad LT.

http://www.doublecad.com/DoubleCAD/DoubleCAD-XT-v5

It has a few quirks, but once you figure out how to get over them, it's excellent for plane design.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I have been waiting for this since I started flying RC! I'd attributed Crimson Skies to one of the reasons I LOVE aviation.

Same here. I had way too much fun playing this game on PC when it came out in 2000. There are several other designs from the game I'd like to recreate once I get this one going.

Sweet looking plane. Is that all the parts there is shown? It will be most interesting to see how you work out the COG, I'm betting on a big fat battery all the way forward

Spars aren't shown, and I have a few fiddly bits I'm still working out. And yeah, I imagine the battery will be sitting inside the nose - probably a 2200mah 3s. We'll see what happens. I'd like to use a 70 gram motor, but may need something smaller to get everything to balance.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This is also one of my favorite (fictitious) airplanes of all-time too. I spent a lot of time playing Crimson Skies (still have the original game for the PC on CD-ROM in the original box with the manual :cool:). I can't wait to see this build progress. Keegan and I have talked about making one since he introduced me to Flite Test 2 1/2 years ago. The plans are looking pretty good so far. Nice job localfiend.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This is also one of my favorite (fictitious) airplanes of all-time too. I spent a lot of time playing Crimson Skies (still have the original game for the PC on CD-ROM in the original box with the manual :cool:). I can't wait to see this build progress. Keegan and I have talked about making one since he introduced me to Flite Test 2 1/2 years ago. The plans are looking pretty good so far. Nice job localfiend.

Thanks.

The original game will run on windows 10 btw. Just in case you need to do any research. :cool:

Thought I was going to get more done today. But the foam stash at work walked away. Only had wavy scraps to play with.

Here's the upper wing:

37 Grams for the test wing. That'l probably put the upper wing at 45 grams.

There are a few things I need to tweak there, but it is close. Should work for the first flight test.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
how does that fly without any type of vertical stabilizer?

Don't know that many have ever flown. I think there's only been one build that got to that stage, but there was no video. This one will fly however, even if it takes a bunch of work.

Also, it does have two vertical stabilizers under the bottom wing.

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
heh, i was looking at that plane backwards

Haha. The gigantic oversized guns didn't give it away? ;)

I'm having trouble finding a decent resolution image of the fortune hunters logo.

war_07c.gif

I've contacted John Hudgens, the guy who did a bunch of crimson skies artwork and most of the cinematics for the original game, to see if he has anything he can legally share. Would be cool if that could happen.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to draw something up myself, or find an artist friend to help. Anyone here like that sort of thing?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Since I won't have foam until Wednesday.....

Finished the tweaks to the upper wing and drew a test decal for it.

AdamV

lol, i was looking at it backwards too - didn't really appreciate that until the newest pic with the more obvious guns.