Hybrid design

Tammeo

Hi there,
Few weeks ago I decided to build my 3rd FT mini mustang from scratch.

After cutting the wings I’ve noticed I was about to run out of cardboard so I thought i had to switch “technology” and I’ve modeled the fuselage with a 3d cad to be able to 3d print it.... it was so fun I’ve modeled also a bf109 (using the same p51 dimensions and cardboard wings)
maybe I’ll be able to maiden them this sunday

At the end the overall weight is increased by less than 80grams (if compared to the one of a mini sportster used as benchmark)

Here some pics
C753F518-4E6D-4450-9204-850C903F9735.jpeg F5A9A249-73D2-47DF-9B80-8ECAAF11894D.jpeg 09CC6A89-B552-4834-A6D8-0B18A8C29EB9.jpeg

Matagami Designs

Master member
Hi there,
Few weeks ago I decided to build my 3rd FT mini mustang from scratch.

After cutting the wings I’ve noticed I was about to run out of cardboard so I thought i had to switch “technology” and I’ve modeled the fuselage with a 3d cad to be able to 3d print it.... it was so fun I’ve modeled also a bf109 (using the same p51 dimensions and cardboard wings)
maybe I’ll be able to maiden them this sunday

At the end the overall weight is increased by less than 80grams (if compared to the one of a mini sportster used as benchmark)

Here some pics
View attachment 199782 View attachment 199783 View attachment 199784

Awesome job! What program are you modeling with? Good luck on the maidens.

Tammeo

Some quick updates:

I modeled them using Siemens NX,
I've maiden them both this week end (no pics or videos cos I was alone.).
Overall they flew pretty well: the COG was easy to set up just by placing the battery inside the fuselage and, due to the increased space (if compared to the foam ones) they took off almost without trim.

the first one was the Bf109, i was so excited that i forgot to check the battery voltage and I ran out of charge. I managed somehow to dive it down but i hit the nose which broke up. fortunately I was able to cut the fuselage on the original cutting line and then the plane was ready again in a couple of hours... just the time needed to print another spare nose :)

while waiting I decided to test also the P51, the maiden was amazing and i ran 3 batteries in a row. then the i was fooled by the wind: i entered in a skid during a low speed turn and I crashed it badly... it literally exploded in pieces and I was able to recover only the last two section of the fuselage and the tail.

Overall I am very happy of their behavior and this gave me the boost to model also the Zero. (while waiting for printed spares for the P51)

Next Time i'll post a video, for now I've just taken a screen of the CAD.

Compare.PNG

Matagami Designs

Master member
Some quick updates:

I modeled them using Siemens NX,
I've maiden them both this week end (no pics or videos cos I was alone.).
Overall they flew pretty well: the COG was easy to set up just by placing the battery inside the fuselage and, due to the increased space (if compared to the foam ones) they took off almost without trim.

the first one was the Bf109, i was so excited that i forgot to check the battery voltage and I ran out of charge. I managed somehow to dive it down but i hit the nose which broke up. fortunately I was able to cut the fuselage on the original cutting line and then the plane was ready again in a couple of hours... just the time needed to print another spare nose :)

while waiting I decided to test also the P51, the maiden was amazing and i ran 3 batteries in a row. then the i was fooled by the wind: i entered in a skid during a low speed turn and I crashed it badly... it literally exploded in pieces and I was able to recover only the last two section of the fuselage and the tail.

Overall I am very happy of their behavior and this gave me the boost to model also the Zero. (while waiting for printed spares for the P51)

Next Time i'll post a video, for now I've just taken a screen of the CAD.

View attachment 199959
Awesome job! Love the hybrid builds! +1 on sharing .stls.

Tammeo

here the link to the STL:
BF109E on Thingiverse
P51 on Thingiverse

I printed everything using:

PETG,
nozzle 0.4mm
no support
no fan
brim (3mm) on fuselage parts
speed according to your settings
each hole should be re-drilled to correct dimension (3mm for barbecue sticks and 2mm for toothpicks)
both the Bf109 and P51 works with the same wings of the P51 original design by FT
for rudder and elevators you can print the Masks and cut a piece of cardboard accordingly

you should print them vertically orienting all the 45° surfaces towards the heated bed, in this way you will avoid any support, so mind the orientation!!

Last edited:

Tammeo

@jpot1, definitely yes.

One of the first p51 proto (early design) had the wing hole too big and I close the gap with balsa shims between wings and fuselage

alternatively You could glue together the bracket to the wing and leave the gap visible

or you can cut away the extra material on a bracket to fit your wings design and then provide me some pictures and I can update the 3d model for you with the modification you need

5E793ABC-C5C8-4866-887D-B5C43587E8EF.jpeg

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
@jpot1, definitely yes.

One of the first p51 proto (early design) had the wing hole too big and I close the gap with balsa shims between wings and fuselage

alternatively You could glue together the bracket to the wing and leave the gap visible

or you can cut away the extra material on a bracket to fit your wings design and then provide me some pictures and I can update the 3d model for you with the modification you need

View attachment 200982

I’m not sure I understand fully as my material is thinner so I’d have to fill the gaps with something.

Tammeo

You have a gap of more than 2 mm
Just print some rectangular tabs and glue them to the wing to close the gap in at least 4 points: 2 on the front and 2 on the back of the wing root which overlaps with the wing bracket. In that way you will guarantee a proper pretensioned fitting of the “sandwich” made by the fuselage, the wing (with the pads glued) and the bracket