hybrid FB Pheonix Bixler

bracesport

Legendary member
as you know I have this spare Bixler wing and to mount it I figured I could use a bit more support in the fuse - I am RPing a couple of inserts that I hope will expand the mounting platform for the wing.

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 9.08.52 PM.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
@bracesport , I like the looks of the Phoenix. Do you mind posting of top and front picture of it , already have a nice side profile of it. Plus the overall length of it, already have the WS ;) . I might see what I can do in Rhino and come up with a design of it.

bracesport

Legendary member
Today I just had time to fit the wing supports and glue in the nose cone - I am half a mind to screw the wing onto the mounts as the Bixler wing has some mounting points - if not I will use the rubber and method.

Next stop vertical and horizontal tail mounting - no V tail this time!

D883EBF6-E742-4714-AA76-4EFB704B32BA.jpeg
21D31195-5E3D-4D25-A3B2-DCA6223189DF.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
Thanks guys - it is not too bad, but has a few rough edges to ‘iron’ out on the next version (excuse the punishment was reading the tri-plane thread)!

@Wildthing - the motor is an old school inrunner RCer BL4-15-4 1810kv paired with my usual 11x6 folding prop - I’ll use my 3cell 2440mAh lipo and a 30amp ESC.

bracesport

Legendary member
sadly no progress on this one over the last few days - in the background Hai-lee and I have been tossing some ideas around that will go into a V2 build or an FT article so that is quite exciting - seems I have been bitten hard on the plane building front and am accumulating too many birds that still need to fly!

@FoamyDM - this time I will make a full set of FT style plans, my usual builds are winging it with pen and ruler on FB!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
sadly no progress on this one over the last few days - in the background Hai-lee and I have been tossing some ideas around that will go into a V2 build or an FT article so that is quite exciting - seems I have been bitten hard on the plane building front and am accumulating too many birds that still need to fly!
watch out, that bug bites hard... oh, too late. :LOL:
@FoamyDM - this time I will make a full set of FT style plans, my usual builds are winging it with pen and ruler on FB!
:love:

bracesport

Legendary member
So I did a bit of CAD work this morning (I should be working but I have a sickness) :D

For an FT-style folded wing option, I was thinking along these lines - 1550mm wing with 150mm winglet dihedral - the winglets are also rotated back 20deg - the Pheonix has not centre dihedral, but I added 3deg - the flaps are 200mm and the ailerons are 350mm - space for crow braking

I hope to get the hybrid in the air with the Bixler wing and then look at a complete v2 build V tail and FT-style wing.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.38.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.38.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.37.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.37.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.38.13 AM.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
So I did a bit of CAD work this morning (I should be working but I have a sickness) :D

For an FT-style folded wing option, I was thinking along these lines - 1550mm wing with 150mm winglet dihedral - the winglets are also rotated back 20deg - the Pheonix has not centre dihedral, but I added 3deg - the flaps are 200mm and the ailerons are 350mm - space for crow braking

I hope to get the hybrid in the air with the Bixler wing and then look at a complete v2 build V tail and FT-style wing.

View attachment 130713 View attachment 130714 View attachment 130715 View attachment 130716 View attachment 130717

Looks great

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - actually it's not far off my original Nube tube dimensions (apart from the V tail) - it should also fly well - this time I will make accurate FT style plans for folding!

I will add some RP options for the nose and a better wing mount - I am also considering an internal tray for the servos and electronics?

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - actually it's not far off my original Nube tube dimensions (apart from the V tail) - it should also fly well - this time I will make accurate FT style plans for folding!

I will add some RP options for the nose and a better wing mount - I am also considering an internal tray for the servos and electronics?
I had designed and even printed the wing mount but didn't like it so starting over on it. ;)

bracesport

Legendary member
Got a little time in this evening (finally)!

I realised I also had a Bixler2 spare parts horizontal stabiliser, why not use that I thought.

I made up the vertical stabiliser and added a skewer to the leading edge for support and glued it all up - looks good!

C9E9E284-C000-4305-B415-2420EE06909D.jpeg
B0CB7FD5-DFCD-4CD8-91AB-A7FC87968E5C.jpeg
AD7256BF-A86D-4455-9CA1-E5D694EF14C3.jpeg
A304B1C2-C18B-4119-B474-E3C10525A599.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
I feel like this puppy will need everything up front to balance, but looking at the Pheonix with it's moulded plastic fuse I can't believe it would be any lighter in the tail - surely!?