hybrid FB Pheonix Bixler

bracesport

Legendary member
A bit more research and the programming is looking less scary - my issue was I was reading the mixing steps in the manual while in the system mode, whereas I should have been in the function mode - enabling the mixes is in the system setup - activation of the mixes is in the function setup!

bracesport

Legendary member
programming update - mostly sorted - ailerons and flaps working together (or not, switched) - flaps and ailerons mixed for more chamber (or not, two rates) - crow programmed and working, however, I hacked my TX mode to swap throttle and elevator to make a mode II system so I can not hook the crow to my elevator - I need a workaround for that one (probably need to make up a new mix)?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I love how this has come along. I eagerly await some plans. (so I can try my hand at it). This looks beautiful.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
My fingeres are crossed for you. (y)

Mayhap I will have my DLG up in the air this week.

bracesport

Legendary member
if I fly the hybrid this weekend - I too will launch my DLG (it's about time)!

IMG_5941.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
The weather is playing ball! While we wait, we build! This morning I am getting all the wing servos in and trimmed. I was one control arm short but luckily the RP machine knows what to do!

bracesport

Legendary member
The wing is all set up and the ailerons and flaps are working together or separately at the flick of a switch - I think I will try and tweak the second flap position to create crow brakes - I have been using them on the simulator, so why not here too!

bracesport

Legendary member
I am now working on a Hybrid 2.0 - FB wing - FB fuse wrapped over 3D printed skeleton - the wing is more Bixler than Pheonix as I am going for an edgy look and feel - I was going to start my 3D printing today, then I realised I need a canopy cutout to access the battery! :LOL:

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 6.17.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 6.18.06 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
So I had some fun programming the JR-X378 today (weather has gone from a northerly gale to a southerly blowing +120kph) - the back story is that this Tx is a mode 1 rig and I couldn't handle two hands for aileron and elevator, so I plug the throttle into the elevator slot and the elevator into the throttle slot to make it a mode 2 rig - changed the ratchet over and its good to go!

Works fine - albeit there is no expo on the elevator (throttle ch), prebuilt mixing for elevator goes out the window, crow braking is not possible on the throttle stick (elevator ch), and other such things!

The X378 is fairly fancy with heaps of programming functionality, so I felt confident I could crack this - especially for my hybrid Pheonix!

I wanted power, flaps, ailerons, and brakes - the X378 has built-in mixing for the flaps and ailerons to function together as full-size ailerons, or separately at the flip of a switch, so that was cool - the motor seems to work well on the elevator stick - my problem was the air brakes, and how to activate them - there are no vario knobs or sliders on the rig - I currently fly bank and yank, so I had an epiphany to use the spare rudder stick to drive the crow braking with two mixes activated from the gear switch - left rudder drives the flaps down from 0% to 100% and the ailerons up from 0% to 80% - with the throttle off it is quite comfortable to go left with the rudder stick for some air brakes - quite nice if I must say so myself!

I made one more mix to add elevator deflection to counter the flap deployment so hopefully, we are good to go - my primary objective is to fly without using these fancy mixes, but the ultimate goal is to build my flying skills to accommodate what's possible with this Tx rig!

The X378 is old school FM!

I will make a video of the control surfaces in action.

bracesport

Legendary member
so, it was a beautiful day for flying and thankfully it was a holiday here today - I primarily wanted to get the TT in the air and hopefully have enough time to maiden the Hybrid.

I had my two best flights with the TT, but both crash landings broke a prop, so two flights were all I could do - watch out for the seagull attack and my first loop on purpose!

luckily that left me with a few minutes to maiden the Hybrid - it is a small park, so I only was game to see if it would fly at all turns out it will be great!