hybrid FB Pheonix Bixler

bracesport

Legendary member
finally some assembly today - first the nose section joins to the front fuse - I mentioned previously that I added a mount for the front CF tube to extend into the nose cone for extra strengthening - with that done I glued the CF rod into place with CA, and then glued the nose cone joint and assembled it onto the fuse - not too bad!

IMG_6605.JPG
IMG_6606.JPG
IMG_6607.JPG
IMG_6608.JPG
IMG_6609.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
before fitting the rear fuse sections I needed to get the height set up for the pushrod guide tubes that fit up through the rear fuse - the servo trays are cute and the guide tubes need to be 15mm above the servo trays - my plan is to feed each section of rear fuse into the main fuse while feeding them over the guide tubes - the guide tubes are anchored into the starting point with CA.

IMG_6611.JPG
IMG_6612.JPG
IMG_6613.JPG
IMG_6614.JPG
IMG_6615.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
next comes the rear fuse in three sections - I used the actual pushrod wires as guides to get each section over the pushrod tubes - the first section had the second CF rod glued in and then the next two sections slid down over the rod - with a few centimetres space between the parts I could add the glue before driving them home - the two CF rods overlap at the TE of the wing for good strength - actually it went together very easily!

IMG_6616.JPG
IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6618.JPG
IMG_6619.JPG
IMG_6620.JPG
IMG_6621.JPG
IMG_6622.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I have been reading the 'northern pike' thread - I have a long way to go with the 3D printer - it will be interesting to review the weight of mine vs theirs - they have thinner walls but I have fewer walls!? :D

bracesport

Legendary member
I think this one deserves some effort in the V tail - I think I will laminate two FB halves with a small amount of symmetrical aerofoil section tapering to the control surfaces - the lamination will give me some more rigidity, and if I do that I can insert a BB skewer for extra strength!

bracesport

Legendary member
today I was trying to print the final wing parts with a new spool of filament and the damn printer just kept failing - then I realised the PLA was, in fact, orange ABS sent in error - sadly, time to put down tools and order some more material! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

mayan

Legendary member
today I was trying to print the final wing parts with a new spool of filament and the damn printer just kept failing - then I realised the PLA was, in fact, orange ABS sent in error - sadly, time to put down tools and order some more material! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
WOW your printer took a break, I think something is really wrong :)!!

bracesport

Legendary member
I needed to order some more material and we needed to order a bit more to get free shipping - there was this experimental PLA material called pearl-flex - what the heck, I got some and tried to print some hinges!

could be a winner - I will do some more experiments!

IMG_6737.JPG
IMG_6738.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
I needed to order some more material and we needed to order a bit more to get free shipping - there was this experimental PLA material called pearl-flex - what the heck, I got some and tried to print some hinges!

could be a winner - I will do some more experiments!

Cool, where from ?
I did order or I should say I have a roll of HK's flexible filament but I haven't opened the box yet, probably had it for a couple months already :D