hybrid FB Pheonix Bixler

bracesport

Legendary member
Making a bit more progress - the dry fit is pretty good - the joiners are all glued into each section - I need to get to the hobby shop for some push rod sheaths before glueing the rear sections together - in the meantime I can tidy up the nose and get the dags off the cover for a flush fit - I still need to 3D print the servo and battery trays!

IMG_6558.JPG
IMG_6559.JPG
IMG_6560.JPG
IMG_6561.JPG
IMG_6562.JPG

daxian

Elite member
nice clean prints ...how you gluing them ? might have to get my ender 3 working on more than control horns and servo trays ...lol !

bracesport

Legendary member
Given I broke my hybrid on the weekend, I extended the front fuse CF rod to connect to the nose cone on the V2 design for extra strength - it is a simple change for more peace of mind!

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 2.40.04 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - for now, I will stop at the fuse and wing formers - but you never know! - my fuse is very aggressively styled compared to the classic lines of the Pheonix (including your version) - I hope it flies as well as yours! :D

the old RP machine is pretty tied up on some other jobs at the moment, so hopefully, I can get the wing parts printed next week - I will certainly get the fuse together! o_O

bracesport

Legendary member
I fitted up the nose section with the CF spar fitted - the spar is a tad tight to ease in so glueing will be interesting - I wonder if I could leave it glueless?

looking good though!

48BD4DF7-AE08-4BD5-A3FD-BE0AF3D54985.jpeg
4E9F9274-CB32-4D53-9FA9-12A43FF7BADA.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
my CAD is done - the servo trays clip onto the CF rod and can slide to adjust the pushrod length before glueing to the rod, and the V tail control horns will work through the end of the fuse - let's hope it all assembles as I imagined! :cool:

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 9.34.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 9.36.10 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
So I had a look at the hybrid v1 this morning - it took a big hit last weekend when I was out with uncle Kri - fuse is broken in three places, two of which I glued back into place - looks look I will need to rebuild the nose as the FB took a compression hit and looks like an accordion - I want to fly it a bit more before the v2 replacement is done, so it’s worth doing for flying practice!

bracesport

Legendary member
I decided to cut the nose off and rebuild something close enough to get back in the air - I glued a piece of polystyrene block into the existing fuse to freestyle build the new nose onto - up close it is showing some battle scars, but it looks ok from a metre back - the hatch just needs a small tweak to sit down better onto the front of the wing, nevertheless, it worked quite well, better than I expected actually!

IMG_6594.jpg
IMG_6590.JPG
IMG_6591.JPG
IMG_6592.JPG
IMG_6593.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
I decided to cut the nose off and rebuild something close enough to get back in the air - I glued a piece of polystyrene block into the existing fuse to freestyle build the new nose onto - up close it is showing some battle scars, but it looks ok from a metre back - the hatch just needs a small tweak to sit down better onto the front of the wing, nevertheless, it worked quite well, better than I expected actually!

Just like new again.