Hydrophobic treatment for Adams FB

TripleChime

I love all the swappable designs for their ingenuity but the huge drawback is its durability against moisture. I'm sure that I'm not alone and, like Josh and Chad suggested in the past, I have had moderate success treating the paper of the foam board with Minwax Polyurethane. It's a great solution yet I never liked the yellowing of the paper so today at Lowes I set out in search of an alternate. What I found is a 2-part, liquid repelling treatment called NeverWet by Rust-Oleum and cost About $17.00 and boy is it fun to play with. I have yet to apply it to any plane although I did test it in a side by side comparison which I'm about to share here. I'll wait to see if there is any delamination or bad wrinkling of the paper before I spray the models. The wrinkling you will see in the video is pretty minor from my point of view but noticable nonetheless. I did spray "part 1" on rather thick while learning the spray pattern and I blame myself for the finish. Has anyone used something like this? Thoughts?

Garret234

Ya I tested that stuff on a scrap sheet of foamboard and it wrinkled and then paper fell off. I have just been using camp-dry and it works really good.

TripleChime

I'm seeing the same thing. it looks like the foam underneath is being attacked. It shrinks, paper wrinkles and the bond is destroyed. Pity. Notice that behind where I wrote with the sharpie that the foam is still a normal height. image.jpg

Last edited:

Pie

Water proofing the foam board won't be easy. The paper will wrinkle in water (so water based coatings are out for an easy fix. Polyacrylic from Minwax is water based and dries water resistant (but it wrinkles the paper, peel off brush it and put it back on. )

Most other water proofers will be oil or solvent based and eat the foam.
I would think a two part epoxy paint may work... The epoxy should be high enough molecular weight, it may not eat the foam. It would be like painting it with JB weld.

Just my two cents.

Pie

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Water proofing the foam board won't be easy. The paper will wrinkle in water (so water based coatings are out for an easy fix. Polyacrylic from Minwax is water based and dries water resistant (but it wrinkles the paper, peel off brush it and put it back on. )

I thought the Minwax that Flite Test suggests is an oil based Polyurethane finish?

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
It is, I use minwax fast drying semi gloss oil based polyurethane. It is awesome. If the yellowing bothers you just spray paint it. I put it on every ship I build and it really helps make the plane last a long time. It's just way easier than taping imo. I love it. It makes it fun to to paint and detail your build.