Hydroplane in the works

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Hi guys,

This is my first thread so be gentle :)

A long time ago I saw this Hydro foam on YouTube that just blew me away.

That started my obsession with trying to learn RC. It's been two years in to my research and so far I believe i have learned a lot. So now I thought I should share my first design based at http://www.parkjets.com/hydro/. I am getting close, So if you have suggestions PLEASE let me know.

HydroFront.png

HydroTopOff.png

HydroBack.png

hydroSize.png
Scale sizes

HydroPowerPod.png
I was working awhile back on the idea as a swappable but it's back in the can. Let me know if i should revisit it some time? I figured that there was no place for servos...

Update:

Wider Skies for powder snow. Now skies are 1 1/2" wide
WideSkiies.png

Final stages Picture
HydroPlane Finish.png

I have a shared copy of the Scetchup File Hydroplane in my Dropbox, so enjoy. NOTE: The design below the model is the original file I based this model on...

Also anyone thinking of building this, I can't recommend highly enough to waterproof your electronics. Learn more at link below.
waterproofing-electronics-png_1419461660.jpg

Update: I found that the proper center of gravity should be approximately 2 3/8" that's 60mm
Proper CG.png

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Great Sketchup skills. I really like the details of the electronics.

What if you used the FT element firewall (the pusher set up on the Versa and F-22) and mounted it on top of the cock pit. Or right behind it. I don't know what scale you're making it or what sized prop. You'd have to make it a prop and slot. Depending on the size of the plane and prop that wouldn't work, but with a big enough plane and a small enough prop it could work.

A twin EDF set up with each EDF of each side of the cockpit might be cool.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Right the plans recommend: E-Flite Park 370 Out-runner | 1080 kv E-flite | 9x6 prop | CC 10 ESC | Thunder Power 900mah 3s | 3 servos | GWS 6N Tx

So i will swing a 9X6 prop. Just need to make sure i have the ground clearance.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
It would have helped if I looked at the link. lol.

The nose mounted prop looks a lot better than a prop and slot would.

I think Flite Test mentioned that they want to design one like this.

But still using the FT element firewall on top of the nose would work. Or something similar.

LooseBruce

WOW,
The video at http://www.parkjets.com/hydro/ really is impressive and surprising because it looks so much like a boat. Maybe I should add an elevator to my Air Boat. It just might go vertical also. I think it would at least jump off the ground.
I also have a Snowball based on the FT nutball
IMG_11g Snoball0001.jpg IMG_11g Snoball0002.jpg

My problem is that it is so much fun building that it is interfering with my flying!
It is also much warmer building than flying this time of year in New York, USA
LooseBruce

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
WOW,
The video at http://www.parkjets.com/hydro/ really is impressive and surprising because it looks so much like a boat. Maybe I should add an elevator to my Air Boat. It just might go vertical also. I think it would at least jump off the ground.
I also have a Snowball based on the FT nutball

My problem is that it is so much fun building that it is interfering with my flying!
It is also much warmer building than flying this time of year in New York, USA
LooseBruce

First of all, welcome to the flite test family.

I have never built the snowball yet so I'm not sure how it flys. Never been unhappy with flitetest though. Does it fly good?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
I don't think a EDF would be a good choice, the power consumption is very high for the amount of thrust you get, and that amount isn't very much. Thrust is what you need for a hydroplane to get off the water. I would recommend sticking with a prop for this plane, props are very efficient at producing lots of static thrust.

My 2 cents.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I don't think a EDF would be a good choice, the power consumption is very high for the amount of thrust you get, and that amount isn't very much. Thrust is what you need for a hydroplane to get off the water. I would recommend sticking with a prop for this plane, props are very efficient at producing lots of static thrust.

My 2 cents.

People have done EDFs before. You are right though, not very efficient.

LooseBruce

First of all, welcome to the flite test family.

I have never built the snowball yet so I'm not sure how it flys. Never been unhappy with flitetest though. Does it fly good?

The 11 gram motor pictured in this build was under powered. When I put a 24 gram motor on it it flew just like a Nutball. Whether that is good is sometimes subject to interpretation. I would say yes.It would take off from grass, water or snow. Easy build great fun.
LooseBruce

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
So I'm wondering what the motor mount to use. Was thinking about a metal motor mount like in Foamboard Building Techniques: Metal Motor Mounts by Experimental Airlines. I think he made a plane for Josh Scott right? The J*Scott plane
jscott-7.jpg

It had a bendable motor mount, so if you nosed in it would not damage the motor shaft. That would help in trying to figure out the motor angle needed for this Hydro Foam. But, what metal was used for that?

Last edited:
How is this coming? My flying buddy and I were looking for something like this. something that we could use is multiple different settings, in the snow, on the river/lake, and in the backyard, and of course the flying field. Also, he was thinking about using it to teach others how to fly as if you program it to give down elevation with more throttle, it will stay on the ground, but will get people used to the controlling it while going away and towards you, helping while still having the right TX in hand. It could them help them with taking off and landing, all the way up to actually flying. I would really appreciate the powerpod configuration, as i only have 1 beef and 1 24g motor, so not having to constantly change it would be nice. If you don't feeling like configuring it, would you by chance atleast post the sketchup file so i can play around with it, it would be nice.

Thanks, Nathan

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Well i just got the air craft aluminium for the motor mount and craft plywood needed. Now all i need is time to build... So we're looking at...oh, one more year. :p

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Maybe you can borrow some ideas from this kit:

http://www.racores.com/H-Blu-O.html

I actually won a raffle at my RC club this past week (CRRC) and had my pick of kits which included this H-Blu-O, a FT Storch, FT-P51 and a FT Mini Guinea -- I was torn between the H-Blu-O, or the Mini Guinea but really wanted the mini guinea even though it's cheaper.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Maybe you can borrow some ideas from this kit:

http://www.racores.com/H-Blu-O.html

I actually won a raffle at my RC club this past week (CRRC) and had my pick of kits which included this H-Blu-O, a FT Storch, FT-P51 and a FT Mini Guinea -- I was torn between the H-Blu-O, or the Mini Guinea but really wanted the mini guinea even though it's cheaper.

Were you taking to Nathan or me? Interesting aircraft! The appeal that i have to the one I'm doing its that it looks like a water craft only. Then when it leaps out of the water it's a shocker.

I have thought about the spoilers to keep it grounded, but not on the first build. Ironing out details left out by the rc groups.

It just feels like i never get to this build with life getting in the way...