HZ Super Cub LP Rudder Channel

Mustang7302

I got comfortable flying my Super Cub out of the box, which I later discovered had the rudder on the aileron channel. This meant that on my Mode 2 (I think) DX6i, that the rudder was the X axis on the right stick, versus the left stick like the rudder should typically be (I think).

Needless to say re-learning to the left stick is cumbersome to say the least. Should I really be trying to re-teach myself to fly rudder on the left stick, or is there some other reason the Cub came out of the box with the rudder on the right stick?

aiidanwings

It's on the right stick to keep things easy for beginners.

But then rudders really aren't easy to master. I think it would be a good idea to re-learn with it in the right place.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Before I added ailerons I tried switching my SC over to rudder on left stick and couldn't do it. Considering how the stock SC flies I would leave the rudder on the right stick until you add ailerons and maybe flatten the wing. Then I'd move it to the left stick.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I tried both in the beginning. My friend and I both decided it would be in our best interest to move it to the left stick immediately so that it would train us from the start to use rudder. We both planned on moving in to 4 channel planes quickly and our plan worked. It was much easier to transition.

Mustang7302

Inspired by an impromptu project this past weekend to get a Arduino micro controller to read signal from a RC receiver, which was successful, lead me to wonder about getting the signal to the computer by USB and using said signal in a flight simulator. Setup four channels, could do eight, on the Arduino and a little bit of code later signal comes streaming into my computer via serial communication over USB. Just so happened while looking up Arduino code, I found a free flight simulator called FMS which someone had already previously got to work just as I imagined! FMS has a couple of handful of models (including the Super Cub), and I was even able to find additional models for tri-rotors and quads!

So, I turned off the aileron channel via setting the dual rate to zero for high and low in the transmitter, and I have spent most of the afternoon retraining my self to fly with the rudder on the left stick without hazard to my Super Cub, wind, or risk running out of juice in my two lipos. It's even been fun learning the tri-rotor too (with aileron turned on, of course).

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Here's why it's ok to leave it the way it is...

On a high wing plane with dihedral like the HZ Super Cub, the effect that's caused by the rudder is very similar to the effect that would be produced by the ailerons. Applying left or right stick input on the right stick causes more change in the roll axis than the yaw.

This prepares you to some extent for when you move to an aileron plane.

I wouldn't worry about learning rudder on the rudder stick, until you were to the four channel stage.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The effect is similar but when you do step over, it's much easier to retain the muscle memory for rudder if you learned it properly. I've found that people who never try the rudder on the left tend to not use rudder when they move to ailerons. This hampers them down the road when they can't figure out how to do things that need rudder. My brother is a prime example of this, but I've seen it several times. Those who trained themselves to use rudder initially seem to be better pilots faster when they go 4 channel.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you have a programmable radio, like the OP, you can always create a mix of rudder control to aileron channel.

Mustang, for the spectrum (I have a 7s, so if something doesn't match, sorry -- but do ask), in D/R menu cut the aileron channel from 100/100 to 50/50, and assign it to a switch (pick one that's easy to find w/o looking). Then in the mix menu, select RUD->AIL and set to 50/50, and assign it to the same switch.

Now go to the "monitor" menu, with the switch off, aileron control will have full throw on the aileron channel, and moving the rudder control won't change the aileron channel. With the switch on, aileron alone will only give 1/2 the throw. To get the other 1/2, you'll need to move the rudder in sympathy.

This won't teach you all you need to know about a coordinated turn, but will give some muscle memory to make "use both sticks" automatic.