HZ Super Cub motor upgrade

earthsciteach

After gathering dust for a few months, I decided my Super Cub needed to fly again. I had rebuilt it after its last horrendous (par for the course) crash, but got distracted from it for a while. The Cubby was flying on a 1200 kv, 450 class brushless motor. Today, I decided it would be interesting to see what it does with a bigger motor. I'm trying out the motor from my Hellcat - its an 1100 kv, 480. Should be A LOT more torque! Test flight in a few minutes.

earthsciteach

Funny thing is, the performance wasn't great at all. I can drag it around by the prop, but its really slow. And, it wouldn't go vertical, at all. I'm using a 10x5 APC e prop. This same motor/prop combo gives somewhat better performance on the Hellcat. I'm not sure what to make of it.

What's your combo, AK?

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
try something like this ??

1450kv.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=18226&aff=583764

earthsciteach

I had been using a Powerup 450 speed from Headsup RC. It's best performance is with an 8x4e prop, and I'm pretty happy with that. I really expect more performance with this motor. Surprised me quite a bit!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
yup, that is the one I used but the 1000kv model. Freakin' crazy. Use lots of carbon fiber.

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I think you are underpropped.
I fly a 10x6 on a 480 sized 1400kv.
Only guessing but you can prob swing a much bigger prop- maybe a 11x6- ask your wattmeter ;)

earthsciteach

Ok, here's where electric motors make my head hurt. Headsup RC (from where I ordered the motor) recommends the APC 10x5e for maximum thrust. That's what I'm flying on. (Firepower 480 Sport with 10x5e)

I looked up the equivalent motor (3530-11) on HK and they recommend a 9x6 prop. But, I think to myself, a 9x6 prop at 1100 kv can't be all that impressive. :confused:

I REALLY need a wattmeter!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'm running a 10x7 apc e style. Turnigy Easy match 480 1020kv, 50 amp turnigy esc.

********WHAT BATTERY ARE YOU USING?***********

The reason I am using the 2200's from my helicopter is that the C rating on the stock batteries was so poor that it wouldn't support the amp draw of the motor. I would get a good burst for a second and then the rpm would drop and it would run like a dog. When I switched to the higher c rating batteries it turned into a rocket. That and the 10x7 prop. Here's my video of it on floats trying the 480 for the first time. It pulled itself off dry ground into the water and then took off in about the length of the floats. IMPRESSIVE power combo.

earthsciteach

Ok, found something suspicious. The shrink tube on one of the motor legs is broken where the wire enters the motor housing. Is it possible that this leg is shorting out robbing power from the motor? The motor still spins, though. Is it possible to short one leg through the motor housing, but still have a working motor? Seems conceivable. Instead of passing through the windings and back out, it simply shorts through the housing which offers much less resistance. Not sure if it is a delta or wye winding.

earthsciteach

Nope, wasn't that. Not sure what to think at this point. I have two 1100 kv motors that I swapped out and "bench tested." I noticed that one was surging a bit. It would occaisionally go up to a higher rpm. The other didn't seem to surge, but also "sounded" like it was running at a lower rpm. I swapped out the esc for another 30 amp to see if that was the issue.

One thing I did not mention is that I'm flying on an RTF TX due to the antenna issues with my ER9x. Could be that, too. Calibrated the esc's, but who knows?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
a 40 C should work fine. I think mine are 35 C 2200's. Might not have enough esc for it with a 30 amp. Run it full tilt for a while, are you getting any heat from the esc?

earthsciteach

Ok, here's what I'm thinking....
Did some poking around on the web, reading about this motor, props and such. I may be under-pitched. I have a GWS 10x6 I'm going to throw on to see what happens.

I also was thinking about dropping in a 60 amp esc and 4 cell battery. Have to consult the wattmeter on that one. Oh, I don't have one of those. I would think a motor that beefy would handle a 4 cell, though.:rolleyes: