I’d like to see a foamboard T33/F80/P80

Kobur

Nice looking plane. Were you thinking of an EDF or a prop driven plane?
I’m not sure how it would be done. I just love the look of them and historically they’re significant as the first U. S. jet to see combat. I couldn’t find any RC models except for large scale, multi-thousand dollars

JTarmstr

Elite member
I’m not sure how it would be done. I just love the look of them and historically they’re significant as the first U. S. jet to see combat. I couldn’t find any RC models except for large scale, multi-thousand dollars

The P-80 should be a easy build i might try it sometime, probably not till summer though.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Seems difficult with foam board because everything is curved or tubular

Making circular bodies with foam isnt that hard as long as you add bulkheads and do your measurements right. It is tougher than box style bodies though.

PoorManRC

Master member
Seems difficult with foam board because everything is curved or tubular

GREAT EXAMPLE ABOVE!!! Look at the builds around here. It will blow your Mind, what's possible with DTFB!!!

I earned my Jet Wings on a T-33, since I'd LOVE to Fly the Foamie version!!! The only big problem might be the Tip Tanks, which were a very distinguishing feature.

It amazed me that the Plane I trained on, was Designed a Year after Pearl Harbor!! :eek::cool:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So are most planes... boxify it and you are set. It can still retain much of the loved profile from the side or from above.
or you can do like @SP0NZ and @nerdnic , et. al. do and conify everything.
look at @Mid7night F-4 canopy/design.

You get the idea. heck I Boxified the Heaven's Spade Carrier and it looks great! if you can fly identify and have fun with it, what does it matter?(y)

PoorManRC

Master member
So are most planes... boxify it and you are set. It can still retain much of the loved profile from the side or from above.
or you can do like @SP0NZ and @nerdnic , et. al. do and conify everything.
look at @Mid7night F-4 canopy/design.

You get the idea. heck I Boxified the Heaven's Spade Carrier and it looks great! if you can fly identify and have fun with it, what does it matter?(y)

That's a very valid point! If I could do a T-33, I'm almost thinking about doing the Tip Tanks, molded in Polycarbonate (Lexan).
They would actually be lighter than DTFB!! Also, far smoother, and can take bumps and scrapes MUCH better than any Foam Core Board!! ;):cool:

........ I'll probably be doing the Canopy that way too!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That's a very valid point! If I could do a T-33, I'm almost thinking about doing the Tip Tanks, molded in Polycarbonate (Lexan).
They would actually be lighter than DTFB!! Also, far smoother, and can take bumps and scrapes MUCH better than any Foam Core Board!! ;):cool:

Less Heming and Hawing and more "I got this!" It's what I like to hear! Let's see what you can do. :D

I am working a similar style project here. I boxified the body and inlets. but conified the canopy. I have more work on the intakes, and electronics, but I'm very excited for where my project is going. Sometimes I have to remind myself this hobby is challenging and fun, and that If I lose sight of that, it's time to sell. Have fun with it! I can't wait to see what you'll come up with. Good Luck

Kobur

GREAT EXAMPLE ABOVE!!! Look at the builds around here. It will blow your Mind, what's possible with DTFB!!!

I earned my Jet Wings on a T-33, since I'd LOVE to Fly the Foamie version!!! The only big problem might be the Tip Tanks, which were a very distinguishing feature.

It amazed me that the Plane I trained on, was Designed a Year after Pearl Harbor!! :eek::cool:
And in under 180 days!

Kobur

Now that you mention it, perhaps this one is better suited for a 3d printed build for all pats.

PoorManRC

Master member
You MET HIM!?!!!??

Well, yes! He and my Dad got together when he took Kelly up in the SR-71 Blackbird (which my Dad flew from 1969-74). They became friends, and he was over often. They kicked around ideas, and came up with the D-21... The first successful Supersonic Drone.

Dad-Kelly Johnson 73.jpg

Here's a picture of my Dad, standing next to Kelly, at a place that doesn't exist!!! :eek::cool::cool::cool:

Kobur

Well, yes! He and my Dad got together when he took Kelly up in the SR-71 Blackbird (which my Dad flew from 1969-74). They became friends, and he was over often. They kicked around ideas, and came up with the D-21... The first successful Supersonic Drone.
{picture omitted}
Here's a picture of my Dad, standing next to Kelly, at a place that doesn't exist!!! :eek::cool::cool::cool:

Sweet!