I’m looking for your advice to cut flite test plans with my laser engraving machine

mikejsilveira

Hello
I am reaching out to this forum to ask you for advice on how to transfer the flight test free plans to a file I can cut out on my new Maslow M2 laser engraver by Maker made. For years I have built my plans the old way by printing out the tiles and transferring to the foam to cut with my hobby knife set. Now I’m looking to geek out even more and use CNC to expand my hobby to a new level. If you’re experienced in this skill already, I would like to learn more from you. Here’s a picture of the the machine I have in my garage.

Attachments

• 11CF06B4-EF4F-4640-BEF1-DD1F39AEBCEA.jpeg
    11CF06B4-EF4F-4640-BEF1-DD1F39AEBCEA.jpeg
    978.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 13770836-1E40-47AA-B278-3D9A08BBD578.jpeg
    13770836-1E40-47AA-B278-3D9A08BBD578.jpeg
    841.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 282B2644-4ACC-469F-8618-AEAD57F97D3C.jpeg
    282B2644-4ACC-469F-8618-AEAD57F97D3C.jpeg
    752 KB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The first question to ask is can your laser cut foam board.
It’s my understanding that is takes a CO2 laser, one of at least 40w. It has something to do with the white foam, it reflects the light.

mikejsilveira

The first question to ask is can your laser cut foam board.
It’s my understanding that is takes a CO2 laser, one of at least 40w. It has something to do with the white foam, it reflects the light.
I’m using the 7 W laser from J tech. It burns through white paper well enough that I have to figure sled speeds and energy levels to avoid catching fire. Fire is Some thing we in California have to be very weary of. The sled is slow when traveling, and that allows the beam time to penetrate the surface. The Maslow M2 laser engraving attachment is new this year and just came out this summer. Before it was more for router bits to cut plywood. The first idea I had when I bought it was to use it to draw the patterns directly to the surface like a printer. I wanted to draw up multiple patterns on the 4ft by 8ft work surface and or go for bigger RC model plans. I am seeing others on the makermade forum cutting thin wood with the laser. Now I’m learning how to use the program Lightburn with this and figure out the test patterns on different materials. I like using Flitetests brown foam boards so I hope that will improve the cutting aspect when I test it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.....It burns through white paper well enough .....
Burning through the paper is not the problem, burning through the white foam is the problem.

Who knows maybe your laser will cut fb, give it a try & report back the results. There are many of us looking for a cheap solution to cutting fb.

kilroy07

Legendary member
With Co2 lasers there is a high pressure air stream to help with flare ups.
I wonder if you could put a small 12v fan with a cone to direct some air at the cutting point?

As @Merv mentioned I've also read several stories about the Diode Lasers not getting through the foam.

I run 2 passes through the foam to help with cutback or "cupping" (On my 60 Watt Co2 system).

I like your setup, I looked at that model/setup for a long time... but never pulled the trigger.
I do have the bits for an OX CNC but don't current have room to set it up... I had a mostly printed CNC.

There is a long thread here about needle cutters, you might to be able to add that in place of the laser with a simple mount.
(Something to look at maybe.)
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle.24251/

I think it's the longest thread here on the forums and everyone there is happy to help answer questions.
The design(s) have matured over the years and now is quite capable.