I ♥ HobbyKing / HXT 9866 DMG Servo Review

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I ♥ HobbyKing

Yeah, that's it. I love HobbyKing.

I ordered a spare motor for my tricopter. That is, a DT750 brushless outrunner. It costs about $11 plus $4 shipping. It came in an oversized box, as usual, and it came with three sheets of TrackStar type stickers, and something that caught my eye. A servo. Standard size.

Wait. I didn't order a servo. I picked it up, it felt really heavy. Metal gear, I thought. Looked at the white tag, it says HXT9866DMG. I thought DMG - damaged? they sent me a free damaged servo? Return item? But wait, it's barcoded, they don't barcode damaged stuff... and they don't resend them, not even for free... Then it hit me: Digital Metal Gear! :D

Looked it up on HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=5259&aff=524347

Weight: 45g
Dimensions: 40.5 x 20 x 37mm
Torque: 7.2kg-cm
Speed: .09sec/60deg @ no load
Running Current: 700mA
Stall current: 1200mA
Horn Gear Spline: 25segments (same as Futaba)
Connector Wire: 300mm
Connector Housing: Universal (JR/Futaba)
Bearing: Yes
Gear Type: Alloy / Steel

$40 servo as free gift on a $10 order! Either the HobbyKing guys really like me, or someone's going to get fired... I hope it's the first option...

Tested it, and it works well! It comes with two horns - a T-horn (for which I suspect it is a car steering servo) and a circular-plus combination with different size holes in it. It comes fully accessorized, 1x control arm screw, 4x rubber grommets, 4x wood screws, and 4x metal spacers.

I have to be fair, though. The control arms are a tight fit, you need to use moderate force to insert the arms. Doing this also makes the arms not fit totally straight. This is a problem of the horns, not the servo output axle. I tested the servo with an arm from another standard servo (TS-53) and it is a perfect fit. This issue does not affect my purpose for the servo, as I have a fitting horn already. I'll notify HobbyKing support of this issue, so they might fix it.

Final words, I can't do anything but love HobbyKing. And thank them in front of all the HK haters out there. I've had nothing but great service from them.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
$40 servo as free gift on a $10 order! Either the HobbyKing guys really like me, or someone's going to get fired... I hope it's the first option...

You're doing well! So far I keep getting Turnigy Badges and every time I get one, it cracks Thomas up in laughter :mad: